All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
chinks

company acquired Issue (Need Urgent Help)

Hi,

Currently, I am on H1b and Company A is holding my H1and it's valid till 2021. Company A has acquired by Company B and Company B has filled my H1b transfer and received RFE (Regular Process). I have an emergency so I have to travel to Canada. Can I come back into US within 30 days (Without stamping) of a period while RFE is still pending?

Company A is holding my H1 and it's valid till 2021 > Does this mean that you have a valid H1B Visa Stamp in your passport until 2021 and your I-94 expiry date is same as H1B Visa Expiry date.

Travelling While an H1B Transfer is Pending

An H1B applicant is permitted to travel during the pendency of the transfer of H1B employers. The H1B applicant may continue to use his or her original H1B visa stamp for entry into the U.S. as long as he or she also has an  I-797 receipt notice from the USCIS or other evidence that a new petition was timely filed, in addition to the old H1B visa stamp, when the applicant applies for entry at a U.S. border. After the new petition has been approved, the visa holder must present an approval notice from USCIS evidencing the approval of the change of employer in addition to the visa.

If you plan to travel during the pendency of your H1B transfer, it is absolutely critical that you contact an immigration attorney prior to leaving the country. There are many factors that could have significant consequences on your immigration status while in the United States that may be at play and are easy to overlook. Below are some questions that every H1B visa holder who is changing employers or planning to change employers should ask themselves before leaving the country.

Has my new employer filed the petition yet?

In cases where the H1B applicant no longer works for their previous employer and is currently in his/her 60 grace period,the applicant will be ineligible to port to a new employer if they depart the U.S. before a new H1B petition has been properly filed with USCIS . In order to qualify under AC21’s portability rules, the applicant must be physically present in the U.S. when the application is filed. If you return from your voyage abroad and your departure stamp reveals that the petition was filed after the date USCIS received the petition and issued a receipt notice you may be denied entry and your H1B petition will be denied as you were ineligible at the time the petition was filed.

Can I afford to wait for the Receipt Notice before traveling?

Many employers have definite start dates and are in dire need of the H1B applicant’s services. While it is certainly tempting to travel home to see family and friends prior to starting your new position, you should be careful when making travel arrangements and consult with immigration counsel to make sure you are not jeopardizing your immigration status and employment. If you have already stopped employment with your prior employer and are in a grace period, ideally you should wait to get the receipt notice for the new petition before traveling.  If you travel before you get a receipt notice and a procedural issue occurs with the filing, such as USCIS losing the file or rejecting application due to something like insufficient filing fees, you would not be able to re-enter the country, as you would not have a receipt notice or proof of filing for the new petition and you would also be ineligible for portability while outside the U.S.  Additionally, a receipt notice may get lost in the mail, or be issued late, or may be issued with the wrong receipt date. If you decide to travel without the receipt notice in-hand, you should be aware that an unanticipated delay could result in an extended vacation. If your new employer has set a rigid start date, you should plan for this accordingly.

Do I have a flexible End Date with my old employer, and Start Date with my new employer?

A great way to prevent any issues while traveling during the pendency of a transfer of H1B employers is to, well, not travel with a transfer petition pending. Many H1B applicants often underestimate the flexibility they have at their current position to stay onboard and travel while still employed with the old employer, and pushing back the filing of the H1B transfer until after he/she returns from the trip. You should explore this possibility if you are planning to travel to avoid any unforeseen or incidental consequences to your immigration status.