All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
welcome2019

F2-F1 Change of Status

I am currently on an F-2(dependent visa) and pursuing my Masters. My husband, currently on an F-1 visa is currently on OPT-Stem extension which is valid till May-2022, and so my visa validity is also till May-2022.

I would like to convert my visa from F-2(dependent) to F1(Full-time student) visa. I would like to know which one of the following options would be the best for me.

1)      Stay in the USA and apply for a Change-Of-Status(COS), from F2 to F1 visa

2)      Talk to my school to generate an F-1 I-20, travel to my home country, book an appointment with US Consulate for F-1 visa and if approved come back on F1.

Question – Assuming I take up option 2(applying for a fresh F1 visa), in case my F-1 application gets denied, is there a chance my current F-2 visa also could get denied?

Hmm, on F2, you are not allowed to study. How are you "pursuing your Masters"?

On F-2 visa, the candidate can register for a maximum of 8 credits. Since most graduate courses are 3 credits, maximum of 2 courses can be done in a semester. 

Study on F-2 visa is allowed only for Certificate Courses, not for Graduate Courses. The well-reputed university doesn't allow a Part-time study on F-2 visa. I know few universities allow a part-time study on F-2 visa but It is not legal. When USCIS process your COS F2-F1 case, they ask your transcript from the school and if they see any courses registered in your transcript then you will be in trouble.

Hi,

I applied for a status change on March 23, 2018. I joined for my PhD as a part time student for the time being. My application is in Vermont service center. I still did not hear from them. How long will they take for the COS. Should I wait for some more time or should I fly back to India? I cannot go back to India until February because I have course work.