All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Anup Amin

Will CPT from second Masters affect my future H1-B extension ?

Hi All,

I have a unique case.
I had my Mssters in 2013 and utilized my CPT as well as some part of my OPT.
I was on H1-B for about 2.5 years until (from 2015 - 2018). I worked as a Software Engineer.

I decided to join an MBA-IT program that requires CPT.
Now, just to be extremely clear,

This course mandates CPT from Day 1 as part of the curriculum for at least 5 hrs a week or 90 hrs per semester in a strictly IT related field, without which I won't be able to graduate.

I am hearing that a second CPT from Day 1 is not allowed unless the curriculum requires so.

I wanted to confirm if taking up this CPT will affect my cap-exempt H1B extension in the future. Or, if I'll be violating any rules by doing so.

Thanks,

2 hours ago, Anup Amin said:

I wanted to confirm if taking up this CPT will affect my cap-exempt H1B extension in the future. Or, if I'll be violating any rules by doing so.

It depends upon the paperwork sent to USCIS in defence of the day 1 CPT requirement. If the paperwork is legit and it was really a requirement of the program, you might probably be okay. 

You can't do CPT. The rule is that a person can only do one year of Practical Training per educational level. Since you used CPT and OPT already for the Masters level (I am assuming 1 year), you can't get any practical training (neither CPT nor OPT) for your second Masters. USCIS is enforcing that nowadays, and they will deny COS or extensions due to the person being out of status.

Edited by JoeF