Can i continue in H4 status in US after H4 to H1B Change of status was deemed ineligible?

Prarthanavm

I'm currently in the U.S on H4 visa and h4 status. My H4 visa is valid till 12/2019. I applied for a H1B last year which was filed by an employer as a change of status from H4 to H1B. 
The employer informed me a few days back that the H1B is approved but the Change of status was not approved. I got a copy of the I797C which stated that "The petition has been approved for the classification requested. It has been determined that the named worker are not eligible for the requested change of status. They may depart the US and apply for proper visa at a consulate abroad."
I want to travel to India end of the year and would like to get my H4 visa stamped and discard my H1 visa. But recently when i went to a DMV office to renew my license they sowed some doubts by stating that my status seems to be showing as H1 in a database they refer.

Can i travel back to India and get my H4 visa stamped. Will this fix the issues in the database upon getting my h4 visa stamped or do i need to check my status with USCIS before travelling.

On 10/7/2018 at 4:11 PM, Prarthanavm said:

I'm currently in the U.S on H4 visa and h4 status. My H4 visa is valid till 12/2019. I applied for a H1B last year which was filed by an employer as a change of status from H4 to H1B. 
The employer informed me a few days back that the H1B is approved but the Change of status was not approved. I got a copy of the I797C which stated that "The petition has been approved for the classification requested. It has been determined that the named worker are not eligible for the requested change of status. They may depart the US and apply for proper visa at a consulate abroad."
I want to travel to India end of the year and would like to get my H4 visa stamped and discard my H1 visa. But recently when i went to a DMV office to renew my license they sowed some doubts by stating that my status seems to be showing as H1 in a database they refer.

Can i travel back to India and get my H4 visa stamped. Will this fix the issues in the database upon getting my h4 visa stamped or do i need to check my status with USCIS before travelling.

Can i travel back to India and get my H4 visa stamped

Yes you can do that.

Archived