H1B stamping in Mexico - Tijuana vs. Guadalajara vs. Mexico City

Lipton82

Hello,

Need advice on H1B stamping/renewal in Mexico. I am exploring Tijuana vs Guadalajara vs Mexico City options. I am going to travel with family (US citizen minor kids, but husband and wife on H1/H4). Can you please offer your inputs on the following, especially for people who went for stamping recently in 2018:

1. Safety concerns at different locations, as I plan to travel with family

2. Can US citizen minor kids accompany parents during their visa appointment? 

3. Processing timing: I have heard that processing in border town consulates are faster

4. How did you pay for the visa fees? I don't see the option to pay online

5. Experience (good or bad) ASC and Consulate

6. Language issues and navigating around the city (airports, cabs, restaurants)

Thanks in advance!

-Lipton

On 9/25/2018 at 6:54 PM, Lipton82 said:

Hello,

Need advice on H1B stamping/renewal in Mexico. I am exploring Tijuana vs Guadalajara vs Mexico City options. I am going to travel with family (US citizen minor kids, but husband and wife on H1/H4). Can you please offer your inputs on the following, especially for people who went for stamping recently in 2018:

1. Safety concerns at different locations, as I plan to travel with family

2. Can US citizen minor kids accompany parents during their visa appointment? 

3. Processing timing: I have heard that processing in border town consulates are faster

4. How did you pay for the visa fees? I don't see the option to pay online

5. Experience (good or bad) ASC and Consulate

6. Language issues and navigating around the city (airports, cabs, restaurants)

Thanks in advance!

-Lipton

I had my last 3stamoings in Tijuana.

1. as long as you stay in good neighborhoods, I don’t see a problem. Stay in Good Hotels bear Consulate or ASC.

2. Check with ASC

3. I don’t know, it depends case by case basis.

4. regarding paying the fee, there are third party vendors who will charge a fee and pay for you in the Mexican Bank.

5. Good

6. Language will be a barrier but manageable, cabs mostly know the places like ASC and consulate places.

restaurants you can ask for English menu or someone in the hotel may barely understand English. It depends

@Lipton82

1.  Anyone of those locations will be fine for visa stamping.  Tijuana has the advantage that you are right on the border with US.  Mexico City and Guadalajara are rather large cities, but both have plenty to do and see while you are there.  The advantage with going flying directly into Mexico and back to US is that you do not have to wait at the border for I94, rather it gets done at the airport.

2.  Minors are allowed inside.

3.  Processing times are generally faster at border posts.  I have had clients go to Mexico City and take almost a week.  I have clients that go to Tijuana and get the passport back the day after USC interview.  I have clients that go to Matamoros that get the passport back on the same day as USC interview.

5.  ASC is a simple process that can take 15 minutes to 1 hour, depending on traffic.  Nothing to be too worried about.

6.  The locations you mentioned have people traveling from all over the world.  Many people speak English in those cities, especially Tijuana.

All the best!

Mark

Archived