Successful J1 waiver transfer

hkarq

Hello all,

I just wanted to share my experience regarding my successful J1 waiver transfer. My spouse (US citizen) who is also a physician was completing a specialty fellowship. I was unable to secure a J1 waiver in her state so I applied and found a job elsewhere. We stayed apart for 1 year. Once my spouse completed her training, our plan was for her to find a job near me. However, 6 months before she completed fellowship - her dad a stroke and needed more help. Due to this, my wife decided to move close to her parents after completing her fellowship. Since the area where her parents lived was rural, my wife was unable to secure a job. I was her main source of income. Due to these changes, I looked for a job near her parents and applied for a transfer. We submitted proof of her dad's medical condition, my wife's unfruitful job search and proof that I was the only source of income to support my wife and her extended family. We also submitted a letter from my wife's psychiatrist as she was experiencing significant mental stress and anxiety from all of this. Our transfer was approved within a few days. 

We spoke to several lawyers - a lot of them advised to not apply for transfer but my wife really needed me with her given her dad's condition. We took the chance and we were successful. I just wanted to relay my story for any one else who is experiencing similar problems. 

Archived