All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rajiv_tiwary

Naturalization / Citizenship

Hi,

I got green card in September, 2013 and my wife and Daughter both got green card in Feb, 2017 because she was living in my home country when I got GC.

Question: I am qualifying to get Citizenship now. Can my daughter get Citizenship along with me? Or she need to wait to complete 5 years in this country. She is 16 years old.

Thanks

"children of U.S. Citizens Residing in the United States

Children who were born outside the U.S. but now live in the U.S. may acquire citizenship under Section 320 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). A child born outside of the United States automatically becomes a U.S. citizen when all of the following conditions have been met on or after Feb. 27, 2001: 
  • The child has at least one parent, including an adoptive parent, who is a U.S. citizen by birth or through naturalization;
  • The child is under 18 years of age;
  • The child is a lawful permanent resident (LPR); and
  • The child is residing in the United States in the legal and physical custody of the U.S. citizen parent.""

https://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship/citizenship-through-parents

13 hours ago, rajiv_tiwary said:

Hi,

I got green card in September, 2013 and my wife and Daughter both got green card in Feb, 2017 because she was living in my home country when I got GC.

Question: I am qualifying to get Citizenship now. Can my daughter get Citizenship along with me? Or she need to wait to complete 5 years in this country. She is 16 years old.

Thanks

If on the day you become a citizen (take the oath), your daughter is under 18 and is a permanent resident living in the US with you, she automatically and involuntarily becomes a US citizen on that day, without needing to do anything.