Naturalization / Citizenship

Hi,

I got green card in September, 2013 and my wife and Daughter both got green card in Feb, 2017 because she was living in my home country when I got GC.

Question: I am qualifying to get Citizenship now. Can my daughter get Citizenship along with me? Or she need to wait to complete 5 years in this country. She is 16 years old.

Thanks

"children of U.S. Citizens Residing in the United States

Children who were born outside the U.S. but now live in the U.S. may acquire citizenship under Section 320 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). A child born outside of the United States automatically becomes a U.S. citizen when all of the following conditions have been met on or after Feb. 27, 2001: 
  • The child has at least one parent, including an adoptive parent, who is a U.S. citizen by birth or through naturalization;
  • The child is under 18 years of age;
  • The child is a lawful permanent resident (LPR); and
  • The child is residing in the United States in the legal and physical custody of the U.S. citizen parent.""

https://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship/citizenship-through-parents

13 hours ago, rajiv_tiwary said:

Hi,

I got green card in September, 2013 and my wife and Daughter both got green card in Feb, 2017 because she was living in my home country when I got GC.

Question: I am qualifying to get Citizenship now. Can my daughter get Citizenship along with me? Or she need to wait to complete 5 years in this country. She is 16 years old.

Thanks

If on the day you become a citizen (take the oath), your daughter is under 18 and is a permanent resident living in the US with you, she automatically and involuntarily becomes a US citizen on that day, without needing to do anything.

• 10 months later...

Hi,

I am going to take Oath in a week and my daughter is in the USA on GC. She is 16 years old. As you mentioned, she automatically becomes a US citizen on that day when I will take an oath. But I heard, need to file N-600 for her to get Citizen Certificate?

My Question: 

- Can Apply for her passport along/during with my passport without N-600. If yes, what are the documents are required to provide for her?

- Do I still need to apply N-600 for her if got US passport for her?

Thanks

15 hours ago, rajiv_tiwary said:

Hi,

I am going to take Oath in a week and my daughter is in the USA on GC. She is 16 years old. As you mentioned, she automatically becomes a US citizen on that day when I will take an oath. But I heard, need to file N-600 for her to get Citizen Certificate?

My Question: 

- Can Apply for her passport along/during with my passport without N-600. If yes, what are the documents are required to provide for her?

Yes. Your Certificate of Naturalization plus her green card plus your marriage certificate showing custody of her.

15 hours ago, rajiv_tiwary said:

- Do I still need to apply N-600 for her if got US passport for her?

No. Unless you like to pay $1,170.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for your response. I got US passport for my daughter based on my Naturalization & other documents like marriage cert, Birth cert etc..

Today I visited SSN office to update SSN record. They denied updating without Naturalization cert. Is really need to have a Naturalization cert for my Daughter? I read on sites, it's saying you should have Naturalization cert to avoid complication? 

Could you please advise? I appreciate your response in advance.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, raj361 said:

Do I really need to get a Citizenship certificate for my daughter? Will it be an issue in the future without a Citizenship certificate? Or what is a benefit to get a Citizenship certificate for her?

You don't "need" to. Sometimes people like to get a certificate in case they lose their passport to serve as evidence of citizenship to get another passport (though you might be able to do that with a passport card also, or the passport office can do a "file search" for records of your previous passport).