AOS 485, EAD and AP Application Packet

satya2k1

Hello friends,

Now the dates are favorable, and I am eligible to apply for AOS I am putting together all my documents and filing packet.  My case is straight forward, full-time permanent employee for a government agency. They filed I-140 and approved without any rfe or questions.

So, I am planning to file AOS by myself instead of paying attorney $$$$ for nothing. 

I have one question though; Do I have to attach same supporting documents for 485 application, EAD and AP application in three separate sets?  or just one set of supporting documents enough for the whole packet?

If anyone has filed AOS by themselves or have info please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Pontevecchio,

It is not clear in instructions thats why I posted here if anyone has filed by themselves.

Here is what I found in instructions under "What evidence must you submit with form I-485?"

"Failure to submit all required evidence and documentation when filing Form I-485 may also delay processing of
your application and any related applications based on Form I-485, such as Form I-765, Application for Employment
Authorization, or Form I-131, Application for Travel Document."

Based on this, I think we don't need to submit copies of evidence for EAD and AP applications.

4 hours ago, satya2k1 said:

Hello friends,

Now the dates are favorable, and I am eligible to apply for AOS I am putting together all my documents and filing packet.  My case is straight forward, full-time permanent employee for a government agency. They filed I-140 and approved without any rfe or questions.

So, I am planning to file AOS by myself instead of paying attorney $$$$ for nothing. 

I have one question though; Do I have to attach same supporting documents for 485 application, EAD and AP application in three separate sets?  or just one set of supporting documents enough for the whole packet?

If anyone has filed AOS by themselves or have info please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

You should group each form's supporting documents together with that form, and if multiple forms request the same document, you should have multiple copies of that document, one for each form. But if you read the instructions, there is not that much overlap in the documents needed by those forms.

It is very brave that you are filing AOS on your own. I thought of doing it and then decided to weigh in risk versus benefits. I want to tell you that the only benefit is saving about $2,800 as risk goes beyond your imagination. Trump administration are making rules so hard that a single mistake can make your application getting denied.

I am not unfamiliar with the process as I have helped my previous employer file H1b applications successfully. But when it comes to such an important step you are talking about saving some money on one side and risking your entire immigration portfolio on other side. There are hundreds of things combined in I-485 (With J supplement), I-765, I-131 altogether that you need to have 100% correct or verified by another set of eyes with constant changing rules.

You will be required paying $1,225 for I-485 anyway as fee and supplement J, I-131, I-765 being free. Make thoughtful decision.

Goodluck

5 hours ago, care_candidate said:

It is very brave that you are filing AOS on your own. I thought of doing it and then decided to weigh in risk versus benefits. I want to tell you that the only benefit is saving about $2,800 as risk goes beyond your imagination. Trump administration are making rules so hard that a single mistake can make your application getting denied.

I am not unfamiliar with the process as I have helped my previous employer file H1b applications successfully. But when it comes to such an important step you are talking about saving some money on one side and risking your entire immigration portfolio on other side. There are hundreds of things combined in I-485 (With J supplement), I-765, I-131 altogether that you need to have 100% correct or verified by another set of eyes with constant changing rules.

You will be required paying $1,225 for I-485 anyway as fee and supplement J, I-131, I-765 being free. Make thoughtful decision.

Goodluck

I totally understand, thanks for your thought and input.  I have been helping my employer with my H1B extensions for last 15 years, and also helped in filing I-140, as we are a very small governmental agency.  The only time they hired an attorney is for my PERM and filing I-140, although I have done 90% of work.  I am not saying attorneys are bad, but my portfolio is pretty straightforward.. I am not in consulting work and I am a NON-IT person with my education and work in my core field. I already got Suppl J signed by my employer, I-485 is completely accurately filled out

Archived