b2 to dependent visa

Deepshika

I have a B2 visitor visa.  my I-94 is valid till jan 15th 2019. My husband works in United States on a non immigrant visa. I am currently in United States.

1. can I change my status from b2 visa to dependent visa while staying in United States or should I go back to India and then apply for a dependent visa. which one do you think will be better.

2. if in United States, How many days prior to my i-94 expiry should I apply for change of status.

Please suggest.

Thank you.

Hopefully you'd paid heed to JoeF's comment in this thread

Do not enter the US on a b2 visa with intent to change or adjust status. The US doesn't appreciate shortcuts to legal processes that border on the fraudulent. B2 is for visits of a temporary nature that require a return ticket. Does the wife have a return ticket? 

She needs to return to India and apply for a appropriate (h4?) visa. 

And what happened to the i485 attempts?  Why was she in India with a i485 in the pipeline? 

9 hours ago, Deepshika said:

I have a B2 visitor visa.  my I-94 is valid till jan 15th 2019. My husband works in United States on a non immigrant visa. I am currently in United States.

1. can I change my status from b2 visa to dependent visa while staying in United States or should I go back to India and then apply for a dependent visa. which one do you think will be better.

2. if in United States, How many days prior to my i-94 expiry should I apply for change of status.

Please suggest.

Thank you.

1. you can do either

2. it doesn't matter as long as the application is officially received by USCIS before your status expires

Archived