Full time CPT in fall semester

ashu2703

Hello Dear,

I'm a grad student on F-1 visa. I've done full time CPT in summer, which is extended by the company for the fall semester. I have 8 credits left (2 for CPT, 6 course credits), and this is my final semester. 9 credits are required for full time enrollment. Can I work on full time CPT in fall with 8 credits left? And my company is in a different state (non commutable) than my school. Would it have any issues later on? Or should I opt for part time CPT.

Thank you

Ashu,

Is this your first Grad course in the USA?  If so, then you will not be eligible for OPT upon completion of grad course if you have worked on CPT for more than 1 year. 

if this is your second or subsequent grad course, then follow your college's CPT policy rules.  CPT is an integral part of the course work.  Your professor and DSO will determine your eligibility for CPT. 

Lately, we have seen issues like RFEs for candidates working on CPT for an extended period of time.  You may also face some of those issues until changes take place at administration level.

5 hours ago, pontevecchio said:

Run your scenario by a lawyer as you have to abide by F1 rules for full time enrollment. You need to find a way to move away from this scenario as future visas may become impossible. Which College are you attending?

Thanks for the reply, Pontevecchio. Could you please help me what could go wrong if I do only a part time CPT? My only concern is I won't be able to attend on campus classes since the city of my office location is different from my university.

6 hours ago, satya2k1 said:

Ashu,

Is this your first Grad course in the USA?  If so, then you will not be eligible for OPT upon completion of grad course if you have worked on CPT for more than 1 year. 

if this is your second or subsequent grad course, then follow your college's CPT policy rules.  CPT is an integral part of the course work.  Your professor and DSO will determine your eligibility for CPT. 

Lately, we have seen issues like RFEs for candidates working on CPT for an extended period of time.  You may also face some of those issues until changes take place at administration level.

Thanks for the reply, Satya. This is my first grad course. I have worked only in the summer for 2.5 months. But I'm concerned, even if I do a part time CPT attending only online classes, will it effect my future visa approvals. Since the city I'll be working is in a different state. My DSO and professor are okay with it but I've heard otherwise.

17 hours ago, ashu2703 said:

Thanks for the reply, Pontevecchio. Could you please help me what could go wrong if I do only a part time CPT? My only concern is I won't be able to attend on campus classes since the city of my office location is different from my university.

Thanks for the reply, Satya. This is my first grad course. I have worked only in the summer for 2.5 months. But I'm concerned, even if I do a part time CPT attending only online classes, will it effect my future visa approvals. Since the city I'll be working is in a different state. My DSO and professor are okay with it but I've heard otherwise.

Ashu,

In the past it was usual that students go for CPT work in summer for 3 to 4 months, and attend classes full-time in Spring and Fall semesters, and this is the actual purpose of CPT.  Students learn from real experience in summer and those skills come handy in classrooms. 

Many colleges and students have exploited this rule, and created a mess.  If you are worried about your future, I suggest to take right path and not a short cut.  Since this is your first grad course, I suggest you NOT to get into this CPT mess and jeopardize your future OPT and H1 chances.

I would strongly advocate to remove this CPT rule from the whole F1 education system. 

Archived