All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
H1b-2018

Help regarding sponsorship to parents.

Hello Lawyers !,

I need your help regarding the visitor visa sponsorship to my parents. A little info about my status in USA below :

I am on H4 since 2 years in USA. I am planning to get my parents and sibling to visit me here in States. Below are my queries:

1. Do I need to give an acknowledgement letter to USCIS that I am responsible for their visit ?

2. Heard that we need to provide the US earnings bank statement as a proof for their visa. Is it true ?

3. Since I am on H4, whats the best way to get the visa done without depending on my h1 spouse bank statements or sponsorship?

4. what all are the documents my parents and sibling needs to carry for their visa interview? All 3 are tax payers. Otherwise what all documents need to be carried if they expect any documents from me?

5. What are the best ways to keep out of visitor visa rejections ?

Awaitign at you reply !

Thanks much !

First, there is no sponsorship for visitor visas. You can pay for their trip, but that's not sponsoring.

Second, your or your spouse's earnings are completely irrelevant.

Third, the only important thing is that your parents and sibling can convince the officer that they return to their home country. So, strong ties to the home country are important. Just "being tax payers" means nothing, because everybody having a job is.

Edited by JoeF

They apply, you stay out of the process (other than help fill out the ds160). Basically that's about it. 

Edited by Provence

nothing about your situation, other than perhaps being in a lawful status, matters to their interview...so back away from the entire process...the COs are not going to look at your bank statements, house photos, tax status nor magazine subscriptions....what matters most is that the parents convince the Co they will return and not camp out, providing child care....

And no one can 'be responsible' for another person while they are in the US...you cannot legally control their actions nor behavior, nor force them back aboard an airplane when their visit is concluded.....I have never figured out why so many people believe otherwise...but ask yourselves...where in the US Constitution does it state that a person residing in the US, whether a citizen, LPR or whatever, somehow gains legal authority over another person who entered the United States? Answer: such a 'rule' or 'law' does not exist.

Thanks for the reply !

I need a clarification on strong ties in home country. Should they present this in the form of documents to the CO. If so, should  they carry their tax paid details, and other property documents with them ?  is there a chance to ask about our financial details, this one you have cleared above though 🙂

To keep it simple, what all documents should they be carrying along with them?

What is the best suggestion you could provide me regarding this?

Edited by H1b-2018
Include some more details

They could carry a full 2" thick file if they want.  Documents can be easily forged, are not looked at to begin with, and realistically not worth carrying to what is 2-3 minutes at the window. 

The best an applicant is advised would be to attend the interview and have a free-flowing conversation being truthful about intentions. 

I am beginning to believe that many people are just, well, how can I be polite.....?...slow learners.....for the umpteenth time on this site and many others, there is NO SUCH THING as SPONSORSHIP for B2 visa applicants... I repeat for the learning impaired....there is NO SUCH THING AS SPONSORSHIP FOR B2 visa applications! 

There are NO 'magic' answers nor documents one can say or bring that would guarantee visa issuance....NONE.

Applicants can bring to their interview whatever they want, but a seasoned CO will not care much at all about a pile of documents, notarized or not (BTW, notarization does not mean the documents are real; that process only attests to the ID of the person who signed the silly papers)...

The economic situation of friends or relatives of an applicant are meaningless....COs do not care about US bank accounts, house size of someone living in the US nor anything else.

merely having a job or a bank account in one's country does not mean you get a visa...thousands of people have quit their jobs and emptied their bank accounts following visa issuance and have entered the US to stay and work illegally...

Pointing to a spouse or child that will be left behind does not guarantee visa issuance, as again, thousands of people have abandoned their spouse and children to go and live and work in the US...happens all the time....

The adjudication process is largely SUBJECTIVE, and not based on papers nor promises, round trip airline tickets nor religious affiliation....at the end of the day, the applicant must convince the CO that they will abide by the terms of the tourist visa....and how they do that is up to the applicant and the CO...there are NO simple rules to follow that will result in visa issuance....no congressman nor senator can change the decision of a CO, nor can phone calls from some alleged 'big shot.'...won't happen.

Anyone claiming to be a 'visa consultant' (or visa 'fixer) is just taking money from idiots....you use their services at your own considerable risk...whenever I encountered evidence of visa 'consulting', that applicant was instantly denied....why? Because they tried to fool me (or my colleagues) and that suggests that they had other motives for going to the US...and I wanted to send a  message to the fixers....every client you send me will be denied rapidly...and repeatedly   

Immigration attorneys cannot positively influence a CO...but they can make a negative impression....why would anyone with a legit case need to hire an attorney? Answer: because there are other plans being hatched...and the sure fire cure to end that nonsense is a denial...

Now some attorneys might disagree with me...so what? I never saw nor heard of a single case of a B2 applicant who brought a lot of stuff from some attorney, who then got issued, who returned....every one I ever heard of ran off into the sunset....there was a message for COs who pay attention...and this over a time span of years.....most of these successful visa recipients had either lied about having a US fiance or their own actual marital status - and the attorney helped with the cover up...I adopted a very simple policy....you show me something from some immigration attorney who is 'supporting' your application, and I as far I was concerned, your credibility just went to zero....

Again, documents mean nothing...documents cannot control the actions of a person admitted to the US....and finally, and I hope this gets through, COs do not care at all about the financial/personal/religious/'connected' status of anyone in the US....you will not be interviewed; only your relatives (or friends)...

so, stop fretting over documents...none can turn a weak case into a strong one....

and please do not phone the CO and tell him or her about how you will somehow 'guarantee' that your relatives or friends will abide by our rules.....that is a sure fire way to worsen their chances......please re-read the above as many times as necessary so you will fully understand that the process never involves interested third parties....ever....

Documents do not have a major role or any role for that matter. The VO decides based on his assessment of credibility of the answers in 2 minutes or so. Coached answers are a no no. Documents can be created. Also it is not an axiom that only the rich can travel. If they can articulate the reason for the trip, visiting son and also the nearby sites for say 4-6 weeks if the dad is employed and they have a leave letter, there should be no issue. 

Anecdotal reports have mentioned that if one has relatives in a H1 situation with doubtful antecedents, there could be an issue. I still maintain that most tourist visas are granted. The issues arise when relatives overthink the process and suggest answers to questions.

My own general approach (before retirement!)....if an applicant's relative had 'followed the rules' (no COS, went to the US on F1 or H1 or K1), then other family members seeking tourist visas would get the benefit of any doubt, as my belief was that if the family obeyed the rules and did not try shortcuts, their credibility as a whole was better than those who went on the ever popular 'requirement gathering' trip only to disappear after mind changing at baggage claim, or who miraculously found the love of their life 10 minutes after arrival got no benefit of any doubt from me...you fudge the process, I raised the bar for qualifying for other future mind changers from your family.

Same for memorized answers....you got my memorized denial speech....try to fool me, well, don't miss, because you won't get a second chance....

bottom line: forget papers, stop the coaching and stay away from the process on behalf of other relatives or friends...you cannot make a positive difference, but you can easily make a negative one!

22 hours ago, Noah Lott said:

bottom line: forget papers, stop the coaching and stay away from the process on behalf of other relatives or friends...you cannot make a positive difference, but you can easily make a negative one!

The partial quote above is, unfortunately, a deeply ingrained myth in India, presumably OP's home country. 

NO doubt....it's too bad because so many people do not understand the process and erroneously believe that some piece of paper, invitation, bank statement or three dimensional object when presented will guarantee visa issuance....there is no such object...and no seasoned CO takes the word of any interested third party regarding the bona fides of some B2 visa applicant....statistically, the more input an applicant gets from others, the less chance he or she succeed in getting the visa....memorized answers often lead to swift denials, idiotic trip planning is another (six months to 'visit' some cousin>>>really?)....fake documents foolishly bought will bring about a disastrous refusal (an ordinary 214b denial is no big deal, but bringing fake papers will forever label the applicant as a visa cheat)..and business trips that make no sense (12-16 weeks to 'meet clients and transfer knowledge' is a laughable reason and of course it really means the applicant will be working in the US...because no business meeting lasts months and 'requirement gathering' or 'knowledge transfer' and other silly phrases are quick paths to a denial....every year or two, somebody (usually an immigration attorney) comes up with some new and allegedly clever term to try and substantiate the alleged reason for a 'business trip'....but those not-so-clever phrases are just trying to fool a CO....in today's modern world of instant communication, no one has to spend weeks or months gathering requirements or meeting clients....that is just utter nonsense....

Again, forget papers and invitations....

Hello,

I am afraid my post offered a pan to roast many other's questions !! I can visualise the frustrations and irritations you folks go through with such questions, m sure anybody would feel annoyed to repeat same answers !!

Thank you for the information and  your time for the great write-up !

Thanks !