Visitor travel - advice needed

prikon

Hello,

I need some help on my mother's travel to the US. I am on F-1 visa and my mother visited the US in May for my graduation. She has a 10-year multiple entry B-2 visa. Now I'm pregnant and planning to call her in December. I'd like to know
1. If we can book tickets just one way or will that be a problem at Port of Entry
2. Will it be a problem at POE as she is visiting for the second time and should she mention that she is visiting for my pregnancy

3. Is it okay if she mentions she will stay for 6 months

Please advice.
Thank you!

Visiting for your pregnancy is NOT the same thing as visiting when you are pregnant. 

If asked to show the ticket, one way tickets may result in a Interrogation and severe trouble. Always have a return ticket.

As a second visit in a few months she risks getting a shorter stay. 

One answers questions asked truthfully.

It is a bit of an NO NO if you need her to take care of the child while you attend classes.  If she wants to see the new born she can visit around that time and her stay will be dictated by the I94 dates.

Entering on a B2 requires a round-trip ticket. 

That being said, no guarantees she'd get a 6-month i94; could be less. She should be truthful about purpose of visit. Being involved with childcare on a B2 gets tricky as it could be seen as taking a US job away from a babysitter/daycare. CBP can be fussy in the times we live in. 

• 2 weeks later...

Similar thing happen when my mother was coming. She actually was held at departing airport and questioned as why there was no return ticket. Because she had been to US before few times, they let her go. However, this could become bigger issue at POE. So my advice is just buy a return ticket to the best of your knowledge and then change by paying change fees. It is about $400 plus difference in fare.

I understand that you are trying to buy one way ticket because of some uncertainty ahead. But, you cannot explain that to CBP officer and they may not allow her.

I am assuming here that your mother wants return back home and just not sure when. If that is not the case, it is considered as potential immigrant fraud.

Archived