Mumbai Dropbox - 221g

speedii

Hi,

I went in for the dropbox interview waiver end of August and thought that I would have my visa stamped quickly and return back to work. However, I got a 221g when I went to pickup the passport.

Here's the timeline.

My passport was expiring in October 2018. I recently transferred to a new company (late last year) that extended my visa by 2 years more, so this would need to be a new stamp.

I have completed 3 years of my H1b working for an fortune 10 employer. Thus, when I submitted I was eligible for the dropbox.

Aug 28th - I submitted all the documents via dropbox and checked the status thru the CEAC website (that said admin processing)

September 3rd - Received my passport via pickup - had a green slip that said visa was rejected and it would require me to attend fingerprinting and interview

September 4th - I went for fingerprinting and interview, I received the same green slip with the checkbox for admin processing.

Below were the interview questions:

Me - Good Morning

VO- Good Morning

VO- Please give me your passport and i797

I provided him the info

VO-  where do you work?

me - I work for XXX company (reputed company)

VO - what position do you work as?

me - I am a senior manager, leading their strategy

VO - what is your salary?

me - it's XXX,XXX

VO - what's your highest qualification?

me - I have a masters degree in business

VO - when did you graduate

me - told him the dates

VO - when were you on OPT

me - gave him years

VO - give me the exact dates

me - gave him the months (tried hard to remember since it's been more than 4 years)

VO - did you do another masters degree?

me - yes, I was pursuing another degree

VO - where from?

me - told him where

VO - where you working when pursuing it?

me - yes, I was on CPT

VO - what were the dates?

me - told when

VO - how many times did you attend in person

me - I attended every couple of weeks for the one year. I am currently on a sabbatical from the university.

VO - how do I know that you weren't just trying to maintain status?

me - I am still pursuing this degree and wanted to gain some experience before completing the course.

VO - ok thanks, keeps typing

me - nervous and staring at him

VO - I am going to keep your passport - please wait to hear back from us - it should be fairly quick and hands me the green slip

I thank the officer and leave.

These questions were never asked during my first stamping in 2016, nor during any of my H1B applications though - I submitted all the marksheets etc. in the application package. I checked my dates when I got back about the dates that I mentioned for the OPT, CPT etc and they all matched up, so hopefully not too much of a background check. I work for a large healthcare company and draw a fairly large company by contributing to the organization. 

I have travelled back to india every 4 months for the past 3 years and travelled to Europe over the past 2 year at least 4 times.

Since the VO kept my passport - hoping that they give me a quick result. have others been in similar situations or can advise me please? I am a little nervous since I booked my travel for the 9th September but the status shows admin processing still.

4 hours ago, speedii said:

Hi,

I went in for the dropbox interview waiver end of August and thought that I would have my visa stamped quickly and return back to work. However, I got a 221g when I went to pickup the passport.

Here's the timeline.

My passport was expiring in October 2018. I recently transferred to a new company (late last year) that extended my visa by 2 years more, so this would need to be a new stamp.

I have completed 3 years of my H1b working for an fortune 10 employer. Thus, when I submitted I was eligible for the dropbox.

Aug 28th - I submitted all the documents via dropbox and checked the status thru the CEAC website (that said admin processing)

September 3rd - Received my passport via pickup - had a green slip that said visa was rejected and it would require me to attend fingerprinting and interview

September 4th - I went for fingerprinting and interview, I received the same green slip with the checkbox for admin processing.

Below were the interview questions:

Me - Good Morning

VO- Good Morning

VO- Please give me your passport and i797

I provided him the info

VO-  where do you work?

me - I work for XXX company (reputed company)

VO - what position do you work as?

me - I am a senior manager, leading their strategy

VO - what is your salary?

me - it's XXX,XXX

VO - what's your highest qualification?

me - I have a masters degree in business

VO - when did you graduate

me - told him the dates

VO - when were you on OPT

me - gave him years

VO - give me the exact dates

me - gave him the months (tried hard to remember since it's been more than 4 years)

VO - did you do another masters degree?

me - yes, I was pursuing another degree

VO - where from?

me - told him where

VO - where you working when pursuing it?

me - yes, I was on CPT

VO - what were the dates?

me - told when

VO - how many times did you attend in person

me - I attended every couple of weeks for the one year. I am currently on a sabbatical from the university.

VO - how do I know that you weren't just trying to maintain status?

me - I am still pursuing this degree and wanted to gain some experience before completing the course.

VO - ok thanks, keeps typing

me - nervous and staring at him

VO - I am going to keep your passport - please wait to hear back from us - it should be fairly quick and hands me the green slip

I thank the officer and leave.

These questions were never asked during my first stamping in 2016, nor during any of my H1B applications though - I submitted all the marksheets etc. in the application package. I checked my dates when I got back about the dates that I mentioned for the OPT, CPT etc and they all matched up, so hopefully not too much of a background check. I work for a large healthcare company and draw a fairly large company by contributing to the organization. 

I have travelled back to india every 4 months for the past 3 years and travelled to Europe over the past 2 year at least 4 times.

Since the VO kept my passport - hoping that they give me a quick result. have others been in similar situations or can advise me please? I am a little nervous since I booked my travel for the 9th September but the status shows admin processing still.

VO keeping the passport is a good sign. Hopefully you should hear back in a week or two.

Archived