J2 EAD Application - What is meant by "maintaining valid J2 Status"?

Lokendra Chauhan

The I-765 form instructions on the eligibility section mentions the following on the page 4 section F for J-2 eligibility:

"F. J-2 Spouse or Minor Child of an Exchange Visitor--(c)(5). File Form I-765 with a copy of Form DS-2019, evidence the J-1 principal foreign national is currently maintaining status, and evidence any income from this employment authorization will not be used to support the J-1 principal foreign national. Also, provide evidence you are currently maintaining status and include evidence of all previously authorized periods of J-2 employment."

My question is: Could someone explain what exactly is meant by "provide evidence you are currently maintaining status" as J-2 exchange visitor?

Does it mean, one needs to hold this visa, or it means that one should be inside the US (i.e. not travel outside)?

In another words, is international travel allowed while I-765 is under processing for J-2 Exchange Visitor?

Thank you so much.

PS: The I-765 form instructions can be downloaded from this URL https://www.uscis.gov/i-765 

• 2 years later...