F1 Reinstatment

yuvi12

I joined a course in fall 2016 and the converted that into a dual degree. The i20 end date for my first degree was on Dec 2017. I failed to extend my i20 on time as i was paranoid about a medical situation. I was out of status for 4 months and my case was recieved to USCIS on july 5th 2018 but the problem is my new i20 ends by december 2018. So, i need to apply for OPT before 8th feb 2019 which means i need to get a reply from USCIS in 7 months. I heard USCIS is taking longer time than 7 months to get a decision. While applying for the extension, I sent the letter from the university doctor and a letter from the counsellor who took my counselling services explaining my situation. The DSO of the international office also gave a convincing letter supporting my reinstatement. This is a genuine case but i need a reply from USCIS by 7 months, the probability pf such a thing happening is very low. So, is there anything i can do to expidite my process or do i have any alternate options in doing so.

you cannot apply for OPT until and unless If your F1 status reinstated as you are NOT in F1 status which is a requirement to apply for OPT.

So if you didn't get a reply from USCIS before 8th Feb, 2019 you would have to leave the US once your current i-20 ends to prevent further acquisition for overstay time. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived