Can h4 dependent get virginia state id card with receipt notice

criticalpath

I am in virginia , can my H4 dependents get state id with h1b extension receipt notice (scanned copy printout) ?

Original visa validity ends in the month of september 2018, so wanted to the best possible solution to get a state id for dependents.

If dependents dont have any state id , is it possible to travel within USA locally in air flights using expired visa/valid indian passport ?

State ID issue/renewal should not be a problem. DMV's do not issue driver's license with receipt notice. Moreover very few airports accept State ID / License. Good to have passport always handy as alternate, if not might loose the flight if TSA do not allow the state id. Though the visa's are expired, am sure you might have filed extension before the expiry. So they should be good to fly with the receipt notice. But most of them avoid travelling via airports, if its nearest destinations or min 8 hrs good to use Bus, Trains.

22 hours ago, 02112018 said:

State ID issue/renewal should not be a problem. DMV's do not issue driver's license with receipt notice. Moreover very few airports accept State ID / License. Good to have passport always handy as alternate, if not might loose the flight if TSA do not allow the state id. Though the visa's are expired, am sure you might have filed extension before the expiry. So they should be good to fly with the receipt notice. But most of them avoid travelling via airports, if its nearest destinations or min 8 hrs good to use Bus, Trains.

The bolded part above, as worded, isn't correct.  Airports/TSA accept most federally-compliant State IDs, including Virginia-issued. 

Getting a Virginia ID for someone in OP's situation is a different matter. 

1 hour ago, 02112018 said:

I live in Nashville, TN and I always show my passport dude. They do announce to show passport when you are in line. Try once flying from Nashville.

Just because you choose to show a passport doesn't mean other people can't show a state driver's license or state ID. The TSA identification page shows all the forms of ID accepted, the first of which is a state driver's license or state ID. The Nashville Airport security screening page says the TSA handles screening at that airport and links right to that TSA identification page. The majority of Americans don't even have a passport (and some can't get one for various reasons); it is absurd to think that they cannot fly from Nashville.

7 hours ago, 02112018 said:

I live in Nashville, TN and I always show my passport dude. They do announce to show passport when you are in line. Try once flying from Nashville.

I always just show my DL when im flying domestic. Doesn't matter where, the rule is for all of the US.

Most Americans don't even have a passport. Are you really saying that they can not fly???

On 8/22/2018 at 1:30 PM, 02112018 said:

Nashville does not accept State ID & License to fly anywhere. You got to have the Passport.

Undoc immigrants with fake IDs don't fly; TSA has the means to detect fake IDs. 

Not all immigrants have, or carry, a valid passport and are free to show a State-issued ID or DL in Nashville, or any domestic airport. 

The premise of your post is inaccurate. 

3 hours ago, 02112018 said:

JoeF : I am not talking about citizens/Americans here, I am talking about Immigrants, in few airports like Nashville they request to show passports because many of the undoc immigrants carry a fake state ID / License. Hope this is clear.

You are still wrong.

How would they know if somebody who shows a DL is an immigrant or a citizen? They can not. Therefore, a DL is enough. Case closed. Or are you shouting in the airport, "hey, look, I'm an immigrant"???

And fake ids can pretty easily be spotted. Every grocery store clerk can do that...

The bottom line: There is no such requirement to show a passport when going on a domestic flight. A DL or other government-issued ID, like a state ID, is enough.

And what Provence said.

Undocumented people tend to avoid contact with anything government-related, so they won't fly. Also, flying is expensive, and undocumented people usually don't make much money, so they wouldn't even be able to afford it

1 hour ago, 02112018 said:

So funny 😄 😄 😄 Looks like you are screaming at me now. Any way until you experience you don't understand. All the best for new experience.

Ahh, you are admitting that you are wrong. You apparently just can't bring yourself to actually saying it.

Again, I ask you, since you are claiming that the alleged rule doesn't apply to US citizen, how do they know if a person is a citizen or not? It simply is not possible. So, either they want to see a passport from everybody, which would mean US citizens who don't have a passport can't fly, or they are fine with DL or state ID. Logic 101. Case closed.

4 hours ago, 02112018 said:

JoeF & Provence, This is a discussion and help forum not to battle ground. Grow up dudes.

Huh? You posted a falsehood, and you are still not admitting that you were wrong. It is obvious you are the one who needs to grow up.

To repeat: for domestic air travel in the US, from any airport, including in TN, DL or state ID IS perfectly fine.

Now, you may be confused because of the REAL ID Act of 2005, which specifies requirements for IDs used for air travel. Some states, including TN, are compliant, other states got an extension, currently until 2020. Only American Samoa is not compliant according to this Wikipedia page: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_ID_Act

So, people living in American Samoa can't use their DL for air travel, but everybody else can.

DL or state id are ALWAYS accepted at US airports for domestic flights. TSA says so. And they are more knowledgeable about this than one particular immature poster here, who has never even provided any evidence of his claim (of course, he can't, since his claim is wrong.)

Archived