All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Faisal2001

Is original i-797 approval document required for interview

Hi all,

We (myself and wife) are planning to go our drop box 221(g) interview this week and I had asked my employer to send the original i-797 and employment verification letter. Unfortunately, due to some rule changes in India the package has been stuck in customs and might not be cleared in due time.

Please let me know if the original i-797 is required for the interview. I would assume the PIMS system would give the VO will all the information and a copy of the document should suffice. However, I need to be sure so as to avoid any other issues that might lead to another 221(g). I have all my other documents like LCA, i-129 petition etc. in place.

Thanks in advance.

Just be honest and explain the office the situation. Original i797 is not mandatory, but the office asks for it. 

I have written to the travel docs support team but have not got a definitive response yet. I will post the outcome here for the benefit of others.

On 8/21/2018 at 3:00 AM, Faisal2001 said:

I have written to the travel docs support team but have not got a definitive response yet. I will post the outcome here for the benefit of others.

do what ever you can. There are many cases where the VO approved stamping with out original i797 copies

I will say this Consulate have access to the petition already. All they need is a petition number. A copy will be sufficient with an explanation of not carrying the original if asked. Sometimes in rare cases they cant see your petition and will put you on administrative hold while consulate verifies it with USCIS using alternative methods.  They cannot deny your visa because you were not carrying original i-797.

This happens all the time and as mentioned above, do with what you have. Passport is your only travel document that you need in original.

Edited by xTDx

Thanks everyone. I will go with the copies and DHL tracking page which details the customs issues that caused the document package to be retained

Update: The visa interview went well and was approved after the usual questions regarding the company and my job, duties and work history. Photocopy of i-797 worked perfectly and posed no issues.

However, I have one question for the learned members or people who have recently travelled to US. Is the original -797 required for at the POE? I could see some posts suggesting that. In my case, the employers have not changed between the old and new i-797.