Unlawful Presence Memo for F, J, and M Nonimmigrants

Attorney_22

This week, Murthy Law Firm attorneys will answer questions regarding the issuance of the unlawful presence memo for F, J and M nonimmigrants.

Rules for Topic of the Week Threads:

1. Attorney's postings contain general information only and are not a substitute for case-specific legal advice.

2. The attorney will answer only those questions which relate to the main subject. If you have a question on some other issue, please start a new thread in the appropriate forum section.

3. The attorney will not necessarily answer every question posted and may provide a single answer to a group of similar questions.

4. Please do not provide information which would identify any specific company, university or individual.

Until now while doing first masters degree, if the student does a cpt for 3 months(internship), the dso approves the initial post completion opt for 12 months. Now uscis is issuing rfe for h1-b application indicating that only 12 months of practical training is allowed. How can this rfe be dealt (as dso approves the request for post completion opt for 12 months instead of 9 months).

On 8/17/2018 at 12:06 AM, Mow57 said:

Status of a student with expired F Visa but having Work Authorization under OPT

The visa is a travel document not a status document. Your I-94 in conjunction with authorized OPT from your DSO will document your status. If you have more specific questions it is advisable to call our office and speak to an attorney.    

On 8/17/2018 at 9:17 AM, Surya7ms said:

Until now while doing first masters degree, if the student does a cpt for 3 months(internship), the dso approves the initial post completion opt for 12 months. Now uscis is issuing rfe for h1-b application indicating that only 12 months of practical training is allowed. How can this rfe be dealt (as dso approves the request for post completion opt for 12 months instead of 9 months).

This is an issue we've seen USCIS raise before. I recommend calling our office and speaking with one of our attorneys that deal with student issues. They will be able to give you some guidance. 

On 8/19/2018 at 10:48 PM, salini said:

According to unlawful presence memo, day 1 CPT considered unlawful? 

As with almost all legal questions "it depends". Day 1 CPT is not unlawful if it meets certain restrictions. Call our office to discuss this in more detail. You can also review the following: https://www.murthy.com/2018/06/07/i-am-currently-working-on-a-cpt-but-i-heard-that-the-uscis-released-a-memo-saying-that-students-should-not-work-on-cpt-is-this-true/

Archived