Called for interview after dropbox

Hello members,

Last month I applied for H1B extension visa stamp for myself, wife and daughter using the dropbox facility at visa center, Nehru place New Delhi. The status changed to "passport ready for pickup" in a couple of days and I was surprised to see that the visas were not stamped. Instead, it had a white 221(g) letter asking me to attend personal interview  and finger printing at the embassy. Also, instructed me to not make a new appointment and instead come any day before 10 AM. I have a few questions for the learned members of this forum. This is my third stamping and have done 3 extensions in the past.

1. Is it common to be called for an interview after dropbox has been used? What is the usual cause for such calls?

2. I was issued a 221(g) to be called for interview or is the 221(g) suggestive of any other problem? In other words, is 221(g) usually used to call for interview or they could have called me for an interview without actually invoking 221(g)?

3. Any important things /documents that I need to be aware about before I go for the interview. I have asked my employer to send the the original -797 and employment letter. Are there any other originals that I should also bring along to the interview.

Thanks in advance...

5 hours ago, pontevecchio said:

If you know everything is aboveboard, your best bet is not to anticipate questions but to answer any as best as you can including "I have no idea".

Let us know what happened. You should be OK.

Thanks for your reply. Any idea about my other questions? Is it the new norm to be called for an interview after dropbox and is 221(g) always invoked in such cases? Its important for me to know this so that I can plan for any processing times delays as 221(g)'s  are not usually resolved immediately.

1. Is it common to be called for an interview after dropbox has been used? What is the usual cause for such calls?... Yes

2. I was issued a 221(g) to be called for interview or is the 221(g) suggestive of any other problem? In other words, is 221(g) usually used to call for interview or they could have called me for an interview without actually invoking 221(g)? - 221G is to attend interview

3. Any important things /documents that I need to be aware about before I go for the interview. I have asked my employer to send the the original -797 and employment letter. Are there any other originals that I should also bring along to the interview. - carry all documents..

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/29/2018 at 9:22 AM, Faisal2001 said:

Update: The interview went well with the usual line of questioning about the job and the company.  Visa was approved for all of us.

Just letting anyone in the same situation know that drop interview is not different than the usual interview.

Good to hear, could you please let me know did they asked you any documents, because my 221 g  running. i have submitted the required documents on 22-AUG-18 but no updates yet.

19 hours ago, Jagan.patni said:

Good to hear, could you please let me know did they asked you any documents, because my 221 g  running. i have submitted the required documents on 22-AUG-18 but no updates yet.

No documents were asked. The VO approved the visas without any further requirements. However, only my daughter's passport has been dispatched as of today. Mine and wife's passport have not arrived and show administrative processing on the CEC website. My interview was on the 28th and today is the 3rd day.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello

I would like to travel to India in July (first part) and will have to go for stamping if my travel plans materialize. My existing H-1B visa expires on August 19th while the H-1B petition for extension has already been approved. I qualify for dropbox as per the eligibility questions. However, I am wondering if they do call for an interview, in how many days is an interview date typically scheduled? The regular appointment wait times are pretty long as per the website. 

I plan to return after mid-August. Would that be enough time to accommodate the interview date if need be? I will  appreciate the feedback.

Thanks!

Edited by Namrata2019