L1A Managers and Executives

Attorney_23

This week, Murthy Law Firm attorneys will answer questions regarding the L1A nonimmigrant visa category for intracompany transferee managers and executives.

Rules for Topic of the Week Threads:

1. Attorney's postings contain general information only and are not a substitute for case-specific legal advice.

2. The attorney will answer only those questions which relate to the main subject. If you have a question on some other issue, please start a new thread in the appropriate forum section.

3. The attorney will not necessarily answer every question posted and may provide a single answer to a group of similar questions.

4. Please do not provide information which would identify any specific company, university or individual.

hi, my husband is on L1A blanket visa. when visa was issued in 2015 his passport was stamped till july 2020. but we suddenly heard in may2018 that we have to apply for extension as that stamping may have been a mistake by immigration, since visa is issued for 3 yrs and extended for 2 yrs. so my husband's company filed for an extension, premium processing in 2nd week of july and in the 3rd week we received a rfe. meanwhile we are awaiting i-485 case status adjustment (filed in september 2016, biometrics done in may2017, case trasfered in march2018 to nbc). we have also applied for ead extension  and i130 advance parole (all at the same time as L1A extension). any idea when l1a renewal/ead/ i130/ i-485 can be expected ? 

I am on L1A [spent 2+ years] valid till July 2019.
My organization has filed I-140 and I-485 concurrently and I-140 is approved. 
I have also received EAD with advanced parole valid till 08/08/2019. 
My L1A expires on December 2018 though.

Questions:

1. Should I renew my L1A even though my I-140 is approved and have EAD with advance parole in hand?

2. Can I travel to India with advance parole and come back without issues?

3. Is it advisable to change jobs using AC21 [similar or higher role] when I am on L1A but with the EAD in hand?

4. How long should I be on the current job after GC approval [if approved]?

• 1 month later...

I came to US on L1A in May 2012 and my GC was initiated in 2014 in EB2. My I140 was approved in Apr 2015. I have another 8 months for exhausting my 7 years validity and will have to travel back to India in May 2012. My wife is on H1B and working as permanent employee of Financial institution. Her GC has not been initiated by her company.

Is there any option available for me to stay in US legally and work beyond my 7 years of L1A eligibility. Can I use my I140 approval for my wife by having her GC initiated from another vendor.

Archived