Chennai visa stamping experience (with DUI)

InExcile

Hello community:

Having used the forum a lot, just wanted to share my recent visa interview experience

Background:

In US since 2004 – F1 visa

2007 – H1B petition approved (direct employment. still with same employer)

2007 – DUI, paid fine entered pre-trial diversion and case dismissed in 2008

2009 – First H1B stamping. Went through Physician Panel evaluation. Visa Interview to receiving passport with visa– exactly 4 weeks

Several visa stampings since 2009 with no issues. Every time they ask about DUI and look into computer and say, “oh you have been through evaluation. Visa issued.”

2018 – 4th h1b visa stamp based on approved I-140

Jul 2 – Biometrics

Jul 3 – visa interview

VO Questions: Company name, location, salary, highest degree and then comes DUI

VO: issues with law enforcement?

Me: yes and explained the incident

VO: give the court documents

Me: gave certified copies of ticket, court order for pre-trial diversion and court order of case dismissal

VO: made copies, went and talked to someone and came back and said your case is under admin processing and gave 221G and said you have to go through Dr. evaluation

Me: But the case is more than 10 years old and I have already been through evaluation

VO: yes. You need to go again.

Completely thrown off guard, as even the VO’s field manual says, cases older than 5 years need not be subjected to Dr. evaluation. But again, that is just a guidance.

July 5 (Thursday)– went to Apollo,  paid a hefty fee and completed Dr evaluation (including Psychiatric eval.) same day. I was told Apollo will submit report on Monday July 9th.

July 10th – received email from consulate to submit passport at VAC (this was super-fast. Did not expect it)

Waiting game starts. But at least, I know visa has been issued, since they asked to submit passport.

July 16 - CAEC ‘case updated’ date changed from July 2 to July 16. Finally some relief.

And finally, on July 26th CAEC status changed to issued. Received call from Blue Dart to collect passport on 28th.

July 2 to July 28 – not bad at all. I would say the processing was fast. But since I did not see this coming, I had to cancel my return trip and re-book after getting passport.

August 1– back in US

Overall, nothing to worry. Just plan for minimum 4 weeks for DUI related cases. Just be patient and enjoy the vacation.

Just sharing my experience. Good luck to all.

Archived