Valid I797 and stamped visa but I94 expired due to passport expire

manishI94query

My wife has H4 with my previous employer. She had valid I797 till Nov 2018 and she also has Stamping on passport till Nov 2018. I changed job in March 2017 and got new H1 but did not file for her H4 as she had valid H4 till nov 2018. When she was travelling to USA from india in April 2017, she got I94 until April 2018 only because her passport was expiring in April 2018. We applied for her passport renewal and she now has passport until 2028 but her I94 has expired in April 2018 and we came to know today only. Can you please tell me what should we do in this case. Can I go to CBP to extend her I94 or should I send her out of country and she can come with new I94. How to deal with 3 months of overstay in USA without valid I94.

• 1 month later...
On 9/20/2018 at 9:23 AM, h1b_seeker69 said:

@guddi I asked the local CBP Office and they are telling me the same. They are saying i have to leave North America to get it fixed. 

Well in my case it was passport expiration which triggered this, now i have the passport renewed I am waiting for the response from my employer.

If you all know anything else, please keep us updated here

thanks

You should be eligible to apply for Extension of Status using I-539 application.   I suggest to check with other CBP at an international airport about traveling to border and getting new I-94 if you have a valid visa stamp in your passport.

Archived