Credential Evaluation based on experience and course work query

My H1B extension is being applied and I have a bachelor's degree in Marine Engineering and an MBA in operations. I also have 8.5 years of IT experience. out of those, 5.5 years were with my previous organization and 3 years with my current organization which is applying for H1B extension. We plan to do an education evaluation based on experience and coursework, and I want to know whether I can show all 8,5 years for the education evaluation, or is it that only the work experience from the previous employer (5.5 years) can be used for this evaluation?

39 minutes ago, sumitsingh83 said:

My H1B extension is being applied and I have a bachelor's degree in Marine Engineering and an MBA in operations. I also have 8.5 years of IT experience. out of those, 5.5 years were with my previous organization and 3 years with my current organization which is applying for H1B extension. We plan to do an education evaluation based on experience and coursework, and I want to know whether I can show all 8,5 years for the education evaluation, or is it that only the work experience from the previous employer (5.5 years) can be used for this evaluation?

Usually a 3 year of relative experience can be equated for 1 year of  academic education (12 years relative exp= 4 years of relative education ). H1b requires a 4 year bachelors degree so looks like 8.5 years of experience will fall 3.5 years short. Your new employer's lawyer would be able to answer you more clearly after reviewing your case and case details. 

With the details you have supplied, the chances for RFE (and possible denial) on speciality occupation and or minimum education that you have are very high. And that is because of Marine Engineering not being anywhere close to Information Technology. Unless of course your lawyers can establish that your engineering degree had some courses related to the job you have been offered. 

2 hours ago, xTDx said:

Usually a 3 year of relative experience can be equated for 1 year of  academic education (12 years relative exp= 4 years of relative education ). H1b requires a 4 year bachelors degree so looks like 8.5 years of experience will fall 3.5 years short. Your new employer's lawyer would be able to answer you more clearly after reviewing your case and case details. 

With the details you have supplied, the chances for RFE (and possible denial) on speciality occupation and or minimum education that you have are very high. And that is because of Marine Engineering not being anywhere close to Information Technology. Unless of course your lawyers can establish that your engineering degree had some courses related to the job you have been offered. 

Thank you for the quick response. I am aware of the high likelihood of RFE in my case. We are trying to get an evaluation done based on computer-related courses that I had taken in engineering and MBA and use the work ex for the rest. This is an extension with the existing employer ( been working with them for past 3 years now), and their attorney is saying that i can probably use only 5.5 years of work ex with past employer and not use 3 years of work ex with current employer for credential evaluation. That is what my main question is, if i can use entire 8.5 years for credential evaluation or just 5.5 with past employer?

Hi,

This is my situation. Please check and advise.

Currently, I am on  H-1 visa till 2020 (second extension with an approved I-140). I did Diploma in computer science from India and have about 15 years of IT experience and working for US company on Full-Time basis; While I am on H-1 I did a bachelor degree in computer networking through distance education (SMU) in India.

Now I am not sure if I can show this degree for my extension in 2020 or diploma along with 15 years of experience) will be enough for the education evaluation? 

• 7 months later...
On 8/1/2018 at 4:22 PM, sumitsingh83 said:

Thank you for the quick response. I am aware of the high likelihood of RFE in my case. We are trying to get an evaluation done based on computer-related courses that I had taken in engineering and MBA and use the work ex for the rest. This is an extension with the existing employer ( been working with them for past 3 years now), and their attorney is saying that i can probably use only 5.5 years of work ex with past employer and not use 3 years of work ex with current employer for credential evaluation. That is what my main question is, if i can use entire 8.5 years for credential evaluation or just 5.5 with past employer?

Any updates?

Archived