Can H-4 visa have maiden name and passport changed to married name?

agshubham

Hi,

My wife is currently on an H-4 visa. She has:

1) Her passport with maiden name

2) Her H-4 visa stamp with maiden name (valid for the next 3 years)

Now we plan to change her last name to her married name and obtain a new passport (with married name). Once that change is made, she will then have:

1) Old passport with maiden name

2) H-4 visa stamp (on old passport) with maiden name

3) New passport with married name

4) Notarized 'affidavit' from India (on a Govt of India stamp paper) explaining name change

5) Marriage certificate from India

I have 2 questions:

1) Do we need to obtain a new H-4 visa stamp for her with the married name? Or can she continue using the old visa stamp for the next 3 years as long as she carries documents (listed above) explaining the name discrepancy?

2) If she continues using the old H-4 visa stamp (with maiden name) and the new passport (with married name), will there be an issue applying for other US IDs (Ex: H-4 EAD Card/State ID/Driver's license etc)? Or what will count as the valid name for her US IDs. Will it be the name on her passport (Married name) or the name on her H-4 visa stamp (maiden name)?

Many thanks in advance for anyone who can help answer the questions.

On 7/30/2018 at 5:15 PM, agshubham said:

Hi,

My wife is currently on an H-4 visa. She has:

1) Her passport with maiden name

2) Her H-4 visa stamp with maiden name (valid for the next 3 years)

Now we plan to change her last name to her married name and obtain a new passport (with married name). Once that change is made, she will then have:

1) Old passport with maiden name

2) H-4 visa stamp (on old passport) with maiden name

3) New passport with married name

4) Notarized 'affidavit' from India (on a Govt of India stamp paper) explaining name change

5) Marriage certificate from India

I have 2 questions:

1) Do we need to obtain a new H-4 visa stamp for her with the married name? Or can she continue using the old visa stamp for the next 3 years as long as she carries documents (listed above) explaining the name discrepancy?

2) If she continues using the old H-4 visa stamp (with maiden name) and the new passport (with married name), will there be an issue applying for other US IDs (Ex: H-4 EAD Card/State ID/Driver's license etc)? Or what will count as the valid name for her US IDs. Will it be the name on her passport (Married name) or the name on her H-4 visa stamp (maiden name)?

Many thanks in advance for anyone who can help answer the questions.

1. Better to get new visa. H-4 is not that difficult. Will avoid lot of confusion and anxiety.

2. Yes, she will have some issues. Everyone would be asking too many questions since names are different and sometimes ask you to wait until everything is re-verified.

Archived