One J1 Waiver for two J1 visas

arcns

I came to US in 2009 under a student nondegree J1 Visa (english language education) with my home country's government funding. After 3-4 months under that J1 Visa, I went back to my country for a couple of weeks to get a new student degree J1 Visa (new sevis number new J1 Visa) for my PhD program which was funded by the same program of the same funding agency from my home country.

In 2014, I applied for J1 waiver based on no objection and listed both programs in the ds3035 along with all ds2019 documents and program numbers. I got my waiver early 2014 then changed my Visa to f1 but now I hear that I have to get 2 waivers for each j1 Visa. I check the waiver document but nowhere on it says it waives the hrr for nondegree or degree program. It says "This recommendation only refers to the two-year foreign residence obligation in which was incurred by virtue of your current or prior nonimmigrant status as J-1 Exchange alien" and "I612 Application to waive foreign residence requirements" on the case type.

Does my j1 waiver cover both J1 visas or do I have to apply for waiver again? If I have to, how do I know for which J1 visa this waiver waives hrr? Is there an agency or a place that I can check with to see if i am still subject to hrr due to one of my j1 Visas?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I just wanted to let everyone know that I obtained my GC with only one J1 waiver. Waiver covered both programs since 2 year hrr's apparently do not stack. My understanding is you only need a separate J1 waiver for another J1 visa if you get a new J1 visa after you get a waiver. In other words, waiver apparently covered all J1 programs I listed in my documentation prior to my application.