H1B Extension Denied

Marvel

Hi, 

My H1B extension application got denied on Dec 19th 2017 and my I94 was also expired on Sep 30 2017(as per previous H1 approval notice). I was been said to continue to stay in US by my attorney as we have filed for the MTR which is legal stay if that is filed and been acknowledged by USCIS. After 4 months, it was approved on March 14th 2018. 

I would like to know whether he was correct saying that i am eligible to stay in US legally while MTR is under processing and if not what would be consequences i would face when i make a travel like number of illegal days of stay and ban something like that

P.S.: I didn't have any other status during that period (Dec19th2017 - March14th2018)

Hey Vittal,

Firstly, Thanks for responding to my post!

When MTR was filed,USCIS sent a receipt notice for MTR which had its own CaseNumber besides to the extension one. On March 13th 2018, i received notifications (Email and text alerts) saying both of them were approved. Again on March 14th 2018, very next day, i saw them updated as Case has been reopened but i received approval letter (I797A). When checked with my employer, they said it was system issue that did not update properly, Later they sent me following documents

1) I-797A approval notice

2) I-290B Decision of Notice of Appeal or motion saying it is GRANTED.

Please let me know for any other clarifications

Dates accordingly:

Previous H1 approved until 09/30/3017 and I94 also has same date as expiry

Extension applied during May and RFE during October

Denial on Dec 21st 2017 and MTR opened on Jan 23rd 2018

Extension and MTR approval on March 14th 2018

• 1 month later...

Archived