Valid reason to apply for J1 waiver before utilising the maximum period allowed for J1 i.e. 5 years?

Hi,

As I understand the maximum tenure for J1 is 5 yr and currently, my total J1 visa is for 3 yr with a 2-year return-to-home condition. I am into 2 yr of my J1 visa (so only 1 yr left & I can extend it by 2 more yr) and have an offer from a commercial sector to who is willing to send me to the US - either for short or long business trips, and if needed might put me in the USA for long-term projects/ work. The prospective employer is happy to sponsor an appropriate visa depending on the business need, and I have got all my No Objections cleared from my home country - India. 

As per my knowledge, most of the J1 holders apply for their J1 waiver when they are about to finish the maximum period allowed for J1 visa i.e. 5 yr. The reason they provide for waiver is generally they want to pursue further research and therefore request for waiver, however, in my case I have used my J1 only for 2 yr and want to apply for the waiver without utilising the maximum period allowed. 

In this case: Can I provide a reason for the J1 waiver as I have a commercial job offer and my prospective employer is willing to sponsor me with another category of business or work visa- depending on the business need, therefore, to switch to another type of US visa I would like to get the J1 waiver?  

OR   

Should I just say that: In order to visit the USA for future business trips, if needed within 2 years from the end of my current J1 visa, with my prospective employer I would like to get the J1 waiver.

I need to be sure if such reason would be sufficient and accepted to grant me the J1 waiver? 

Thank you for your suggestions, comments and advice.

Harshal

FYI: My J1 is related to academic research in the field of Life Sciences and is not related to medicine and doctor's field.  

• 1 year later...