Is it safe to stay if lost job (Hi b)

TVS999

How long we can stay US , suppose if the if NO job. 

Heard some thing like, If any employer layoff an employee(FTE), employer should pay 2/3 months salary, some one said its a labor in US. not sure is it true or not, if any any body has idea on this, Please help to how to proceed to check with employer to get this done. 

Please suggest Thanks in Advance.

Severance pay is never mandatory, it is employer-specific. There certainly is no law about 2/3 months salary or whatever.

If you get laid off while on H1, the employer has to pay for the reasonable cost of transportation to your home country. That's the only obligation the employer has.

You can stay in the US for up to I-94 expiry date or 60 days after last day at work whichever is earlier. A transfer or change of status application can be filed within this period. However, according to recent memo if you stay beyond your I-94 expiry based on a pending application (H1B transfer or change of status) and if the application gets denied, you will be in serious trouble. So it is best to leave the US within this period or file H1B transfer in premium processing.

Employer can choose to pay 2 or 3 months severance pay, but it is not mandatory. Also, the grace period starts from last day at work and severance pay makes no difference to that. If you choose to return to home country, the employer is required by law to pay for your ticket (not dependents').

12 hours ago, JoeF said:

Severance pay is never mandatory, it is employer-specific. There certainly is no law about 2/3 months salary or whatever.

If you get laid off while on H1, the employer has to pay for the reasonable cost of transportation to your home country. That's the only obligation the employer has.

Thanks a lot

1 hour ago, mehopeful said:

You can stay in the US for up to I-94 expiry date or 60 days after last day at work whichever is earlier. A transfer or change of status application can be filed within this period. However, according to recent memo if you stay beyond your I-94 expiry based on a pending application (H1B transfer or change of status) and if the application gets denied, you will be in serious trouble. So it is best to leave the US within this period or file H1B transfer in premium processing.

Employer can choose to pay 2 or 3 months severance pay, but it is not mandatory. Also, the grace period starts from last day at work and severance pay makes no difference to that. If you choose to return to home country, the employer is required by law to pay for your ticket (not dependents').

Thanks

Archived