H1B grace period

Fax

Hi,

I got laid off in May. My 60 day grace period is about to expire in 2 weeks. My previous employer sent me a notice that my H1 will be revoked. Another employer is filing for my H1B transfer. I have got mixed reviews on my legal status. 1. Once the USCIS receives my case, I'm legally authorized to stay in the US. 2. Only when USCIS receives and sends me a receipt number (which takes like 15 business days), I'm legally authorized to stay in the US. Please clarify when will my stay in the US be legal. 

Also, I'm still interviewing with other companies and might end up taking another opportunity. Does it affect me in my 2nd visa transfer if there is no salary for more than 60 days?

What do I need to keep in mind for multiple employers filing my case?

Please respond. Thanks!

I was in the same boat last year 2017 with 3 months of gap. My H-1B transfer was approved with I-94 as my revoked H-1B's I-94 was valid till 11/2018. 

I did start to work on receipt notice, however I did initiate a F2 transfer during the last week of grace period. Upon getting the H-1B receipt number, I withdrew F-2. Good luck, your not out of status untill end of 60 days. 

Thanks for your responses. To get a receipt, I need to have a job, right? I do not have any offer at this point of time. If I convert from H1B to f1, will it end my H1? Can I still go back to my h1b status once i secure an employment?

On 7/7/2018 at 7:42 PM, Fax said:

Thanks for your responses. To get a receipt, I need to have a job, right? I do not have any offer at this point of time. If I convert from H1B to f1, will it end my H1? Can I still go back to my h1b status once i secure an employment?

If you apply for change of status from H1 to F1, then you lose your H1 after your application is approved. If you already did use F1 previously then your chances for F1 rejection are high

On 7/7/2018 at 7:42 PM, Fax said:

Applying at a university and getting accepted takes way more time than 60 days. And going to a fraud institution would result in a lot more problems.

Archived