Process to be followed after marrying a US citizen!

ayushi

Hi,

I am an Indian on H1B visa and I am getting married to an American. My current project is getting over and I might have to relocate to a different location right after our wedding if I don't find an expense paid project in which I can travel from my home location to work location and come back over the weekends. I just wanted to know if there is going to be an issue when we file for GC process.

Thanks,

Ayushi

This is not an H1B issue. When your spouse sponsors you for a green card, you will have to prove that your marriage is genuine. If you two are staying apart at that time and not even meeting on weekends, it will be difficult to prove. You will have to gather supporting evidence to show that your marriage is genuine. Consult an attorney.

Thanks for replying to my questions.

Also, it would be really helpful if somebody could guide me through the exact process that we need to follow after our wedding to file for the GC/citizenship process. Also, what all statuses I will be going through while my Immigration petition is being processed. How long does it take to get the EAD and after how many days after the filing I can travel Internationally? We will be hiring an attorney too but before I start talking to an attorney I would like to know about the process so I can understand what attorney is talking about.

I know it's a very broad question but I would really appreciate any answer that can guide me.

Thanks,

Ayushi

Archived