Applied for L1A got approved for L1B

scorpion79

Hello all,

My company had me go for Blanket L1-A visa however after the interview visa officer said your visas are approved in L1B and gave me stamped 2 sets of I-129S and kept one for himself. 

I checked with my law firm about this and they said they haven't seen such scenario before as if the officer finds you ineligible for L1A they reject the petition and tell you to file in correct category like L1B or H1B. Now the law firm is concerned with me travelling on L1-B visa with documentation (I-129S) of L1-A.

I wanted to ask if there would be any problem at POE as I am planning to travel on 12th of July. If the officer at POE asks for the discrepency in application and visa what should we be telling them? 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dushyant

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, not an answer, but I am in the same boat.

I came to India to get my L1B converted to a L1A as I have moved to a manager role. During interview, the consular officer was unconvinced and refused to grant me L1A status.

Instead, she stamped me for L1B again and my new I-129S has an end date of 6 Jun 2020 !! This is almost 7 years for a L1B. I am wondering how this is possible?

I am already 4.5 years in my L1B status, and the end date on my previous I-129S (from my previous L1B extension) is 4 Jan 2019. Which is the end of the 5 year period.

I am wondering if I would actually be provided an I-94 that is beyond the stipulated 5 year period?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes thats possible. If you see the officer gave you 1.5 years extra and not 2 because your first L1B was valid until Jan 2019. So total years became 6.5 and thats actually normal. My friend stayed 6.5 years and he was lucky that he was picked in lottery last year and now moved on H1B.

Archived