Masters in Aspen Univeristy

subbu888

Hi friends, I have masters in chemistry working as systems administrator. My recent H1 transfer got denied because of background. I want to do MS in IT from Aspen university. Does anyone have any experience with that university or any other university offering complete online degree. I am worried because it is not showing up in SEVP list (https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/school-search). This university is not regionally accredited but nationally by DCAE. I am looking for an accredited program with low tuition as I have to pay myself. Thanks much for any info. 

If it is not a SEVIS school, then you will not be able to convert to F1. F1 does not allow online program anyway, it has to be on-campus.

You can study online while you are in some other status such as H4 or H1B. For the masters degree to be used to qualify for MS cap, EB2 or H1B job that requires a masters degree, the degree and the school must be accredited.

Thanks a lot mehopeful and JoeF. I want to join middle georgia state university MSIT program. It is a public university and regionally acrrdited (https://www.mga.edu/about/accreditation.php). Also they issue F1 visa to on-campus undergraduate students. Only worry is I couldn't find them in SEVP approved schools. (https://www.************/sevis-approved-schools/). I am on H1B visa and don't need F1 visa to study online degree.  MGA also found in the database of CHIA and Dept. of Education website. Do I need the school to be SEVP approved to study online non F1 degree ?

Much thanks,

Subbu

What now, Aspen or MGU?

Really, looking at random institutions is the wrong way to go about it.

And tuition cost is a really bad selection criteria, anyway. Tuition helps pay for the salary of the faculty. Institutions that have artificially low tuition often have low-quality teachers. You get what you pay for. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.

Online studies require a lot of self discipline and determination to finish. And if you are on H1, you'd have to do all the work in the evening, after work, when you are tired. You should be concerned about the support and help the institution offers to online students, not tuition. And on H1, you make more money that most Americans, so the tuition should not really be much of a problem, in particular if you enroll at a university in your state where you can get in-state tuition.

And btw, MGU is listed at the studyinthestates.dhs.gov website.

14 hours ago, subbu888 said:

I have my educational background in different field than IT. So want to pursue masters in IT/computer science to overcome background based RFEs/denials. Hope this helps.

Hi Subbu,

If you are pursuing masters only for the sake of future RFEs or denials, then think about it.  If the offered job qualifications requires a minimum of Bachelors degree and 2 yrs of experience, then your masters' degree does not work, and there are chances you get RFes or denials when applied for H1.  If the offered job qualification requires a minimum of Master's degree in IT related field, then it might work.

On 6/12/2018 at 8:47 PM, JoeF said:

What now, Aspen or MGU?

Really, looking at random institutions is the wrong way to go about it.

And tuition cost is a really bad selection criteria, anyway. Tuition helps pay for the salary of the faculty. Institutions that have artificially low tuition often have low-quality teachers. You get what you pay for. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.

Online studies require a lot of self discipline and determination to finish. And if you are on H1, you'd have to do all the work in the evening, after work, when you are tired. You should be concerned about the support and help the institution offers to online students, not tuition. And on H1, you make more money that most Americans, so the tuition should not really be much of a problem, in particular if you enroll at a university in your state where you can get in-state tuition.

And btw, MGU is listed at the studyinthestates.dhs.gov website.

Hi JoeF, I completely agree with you about university selection. I live in Phoenix, AZ and we don't have any university offering in-tuition. ASU gives admission only with related background.  I found Georgia southwestern university (GSW) which is matching all the criteria and regionally accrediated. I am hoping to get fall admission. Thanks for your input.

On 6/13/2018 at 5:56 AM, mehopeful said:

You can certainly study and complete an online degree while in H1B status. If that degree is properly accredited (it looks like it is), it can be used for an H1B job that requires the degree.

Hi mehopeful. GSW found to be mix of all my criteria and applying for this fall. Thanks for your suggestions.

On 6/13/2018 at 7:14 AM, satya2k1 said:

Hi Subbu,

If you are pursuing masters only for the sake of future RFEs or denials, then think about it.  If the offered job qualifications requires a minimum of Bachelors degree and 2 yrs of experience, then your masters' degree does not work, and there are chances you get RFes or denials when applied for H1.  If the offered job qualification requires a minimum of Master's degree in IT related field, then it might work.

Hi SATYA2K1, are they really picky about BS when I have MS in related field ? Did you see anyone facing that issue. I thought MS will solve my background problem. Thanks

9 hours ago, subbu888 said:

Hi SATYA2K1, are they really picky about BS when I have MS in related field ? Did you see anyone facing that issue. I thought MS will solve my background problem. Thanks

Subbu,

It is pretty straight forward.  The job requirements and minimum qualifications dictate the H1B and GC process.  for example, I have a master's degree and more than 7 years experience, but the job that I am working requires a minimum of BS and 1 year experience.. so that doesn't qualify me for EB2.  My employer filed my GC in EB3.

Similarly, if your job requires a minimum of BS in a particular field then you need to have a BS degree in that field, otherwise your chances of getting a RFE is high, even though you have MS in that field.  If your job requires a minimum of MS in a particular degree, then you have to have a master's degree in that particular field, it does not matter what your BS degree in.

If the job requires a BS and 5 years experience,, then also you have to have a BS degree in that particular field.. your Master's degree in that particular field does not work if you have a BS in some other unrelated field.

Archived