H1B -> B2 -> H1B

Fmeg

I recently lost my job on H1B due to my company deciding to dissolve one of the divisions. I am aware that I have 60 days to find a new job/change visa status/leave a country. My question is if I change to a B1/B2 status, can I continue staying in the US beyond the 60 days while looking for work? If I find a new employer while on B1/B2, can I have them file for a new H1B and start working immediately after its approved?

Or would I have to leave the country and re-enter on B1/B2?

Will I be subject to H1B lottery if I return to India and get a new job in the US?

Since they do give you 60 days, it is difficult though not impossible to convert to B2 status. Once your application is on file you do have the many months they will take to look for a H1 sponsor. You will need to return and come back with a H1 visa if a sponsor gets your H1 petition approved.

Your total 6 years remains available to you.

I understand that only H1B can be used to work. My question is mainly regarding the rules regarding B1/B2. Are you legally allowed to look for a job if you are on B1/B2? 

I won't be working when on B1/B2. If a company makes me an offer for H1, I can get it approved with premium processing and start working if its approved. Would I have to leave the country at any point during this process ?

Archived