Waiting for F-1 while aged-out

SuMy

Hi,

I am currently living in the US on an H-4 visa that is valid till Sept. 04, 2018 while attending a university for Bachelors. My I-539 application for Change of Status application to F-1 was received by USCIS in March, 2018 and is being processed. I turned 21 and aged-out on May 01, 2018. My I-20 has a start date Sept. 04, 2018 (the date which on classes will start).

a) Given these circumstances, do I have to file any additional applications to bridge the gap in status?

b) If I am already out-of-status, do I wait for my F-1 or should I leave US?

Basically

""By way of background, section 212(a)(9)(B)(ii) of the Act states that an alien who is present in the United States without admission or parole, or who remains in the United States beyond the period of stay authorized by the Attorney General, accrues unlawful presence towards the 3 and 10 year bars under section 212(a)(9)(B)(i)(I) and (II) of the Act. Section 212(a)(9)(B)(iv) of the Act is a tolling provision that covers certain nonimmigrants. If an alien has timely filed a nonfrivolous application for E/S or C/S, the first 120 days of unlawful presence are not counted towards the 3 year bar under section 212(a)(9)(B)(i) of the Act. Section 212(a)(9)(B)(iv) of the Act further states that the alien must have been lawfully admitted or paroled into the United States, and must not have been employed without authorization before the E/S or C/S application was filed or while it was pending.""

PEARSON Memo of 2000.

Archived