Count of days remaining on H1B visa after leaving employment

da9_

Hi everyone, I have a bit of a strange question- I'm currently on H1B wih just over 2 years time remaining on it and I will be leaving my employment in a few weeks before starting grad school in California this fall.

Would the 'day count' on my visa continue if I live in the US during the grace period (1-2 months allowed?) just traveling on my own dime? To paraphrase, I have just over 2 years left, so if I stay in the US for a couple of months after my last day at work, will it be 1 year 10 months 'remaining' before I join back?

Is there anything I can do to ensure that the clock doesn't run on my visa while I'm not employed and traveling across US? I'm not sure if I need to provide any additional information to have this question answered, but please let me know.

Thanks! 

Since you are leaving the employer, no grace period as such. You can file a COS to B2 for purposes of travel and tourism before you leave the h1 Job and by the time they decide you would have gone and returned with a F1 VISA AT THE APPROPRIATE TIME. The time remaining from 6 years is yours to claim in future.

@mehopeful and @pontevecchio. Thanks so much for your response. To clarify, I did not apply for F1 yet, plan to do so after going back to my home country. However, after my last day here, I wanted to find out if I was ok to stay on in the US for leisure and travel for about 4-5 weeks and then go back to my home country and get the F1 visa before coming back in September. 

Also just wanted to confirm, if the above is allowed, will it continue to eat into the number of weeks/months I have left on H1B.

If above is not allowed, how many days am I allowed to stay back after my official last date? Thanks!

Archived