Jump to content
All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  

Worked on J1 at university, now refused payment

Recommended Posts


I was short-term employed on a J1 visa (visiting researcher), and unfortunately it took me until the grace period (30 days after the work permit ends) to get a bank account and social security number. Now my employer says they can't pay for ANY of the work I did because my work permit has expired!

Besides resenting myself for not sorting out my salary payment on time - what would be my next steps to get my salary? Does anybody know if my employer is right? Do I need a lawyer?


(please move if wrong forum)

Edited by smn

Share this post

Link to post

The employer is wrong. As long as the work was done while you had work authorization the employer has to pay you.

Get a lawyer involved.

Share this post

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this