Issue with driver's license renewal - F1 to H1B

Raj4567

Hi,

My H1B got approved from F1 last year and recently I visited a NJ DMV office to renew my drivers license with my approved I-797. But at the counter, I have been informed that my status is still showing as F1 and they asked me to provide my I-20 (which expires on June 3rd). In spite of providing them the original I-797, they are saying that the status hasn't changed in their system.

Can you please let me know how to resolve this. I had visited 3 DMV offices for the same. I also visited USCIS office and they said that my status is on H1 and no issues.

Has anyone faced this issue before? Please let me know as there is not much time to renew my drivers license.

Thanks

if you have an I-94 with status validity dates, show them your I-94.  Usually, DMV check for status on a different portal which is also a part of USCIS, and if they don't see dates then they raise a query with that portal to verify validity.  Portal is Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements Program (SAVE) , google it. 

It happened to me.  My H1 extension dates were not updated so they issued a temporary license and when they got confirmation of new dates they sent me new license to home.

Archived