EXTENSION OF NON IMMIGRANT STATUS WITH A DUI

Erika98

Hello

I was arrested with a DUI in California in Sept 2016 with a 0.14 BAC. I was convicted in Feb 2017.  

I went back to Indonesia (my home country) in August 2017 without knowing the consequences of having to go to a panel physician for a visa renewal. I was initially an International student but I switched my visa to R2 since my father was granted an R1. 

I went to get an eval from the panel physician. I submitted my passport along with the documents, and after waiting for about 3 weeks, I got my visa approved and went back to the States in early October.

my questions are - 

1) my R2 status expires in Sept 2018 and I just got admitted to UC irvine this fall. My father is going to file a request to extend his R1 status in about a month. Will DUI get in the way of getting my R2 extension status from being approved? 

what are the chances of my extension of status being approved? 

2) If my Extension of R2 visa did not get approved, am I allowed to switch my status back to F1? 

3) i have gone to the panel physician once and passed. Would I have to go to a panel physician every time I apply for a visa? 

Please share your opinions regarding my situation. thank you so much!

Archived