L1A Blanket Visa & I94 validatity

Rajnee

Hi,

I am on L1A blanket stamped visa from Nov-2015 to Nov-2018. This is my first tenure and I have four more years to go. I recently traveled to India and I have got my new I-94 valid until Mar 2021. My company would not file an extension as long as my I94 is valid. I understand that I can extend my stay in USA until Mar 2021 but the risk is that my I94 would be void once I exit the country so I can not travel back to USA. Is there a way we can file an extension or amendment in this case? Appreciated your help in this regard.

Thanks,

Rajnee

Thank you! what does renewed visa stamp means? Is this an extension or amendment or something else?  How can I get a renewed visa stamp and when, after Nov 2018 whenever I exit the country or before Nov 2018? Please note that my I94 is valid until Mar 2021 but I have stamped visa is valid till Nov 2018 only. Kindly provide additional information on this, thanks in advance.

Thanks,

Rajnee

Means, you have file for extension before NOV 2018 ( i.e. expiry date of current Visa) .

If you have to travel  outside US after NOV 2018 ,  then you have to go for Visa stamping with extension approval notice.

Based on I-94 you can stay in US but cannot continue to after petition expiry date  on the same visa, unless extension is filed.

On 5/5/2018 at 9:50 PM, Rajnee said:

Oh, okay,  so it is not a USCIS rule. would you be able to share the reference (USCIS link/doc) so I can take this up to my company immigration team?

Thanks,

Rajnee

I think it is USCIS rule, search google for this text "l1 petition expiration date vs i94 date" and you can find the links.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, this is what I get response from my org once again.

"Under L1 Blanket category of visa, I94 supersedes all other validity and you can stay and work in USA. Extension request would be applied only prior to 6 months of current I94 expiry. These are the legal guidelines on L1 visa".

Appreciated if you can give me a pointer that can help me to take it forward. Also, you mentioned that your org had filed your case one week prior to the petition expiry date so kindly share additional details that would help.

Thanks,

Rajnee

It was opposite my case . My ORG told me that I would be LOP if don't file extension before petition end date, even though I had valid I-94 till 2020.

I could't post the links in this reply , please search google for "l1 petition expiration date vs i94 date" and pass that your ORG and see how it works.

• 8 months later...
On 5/1/2018 at 3:42 PM, Rajnee said:

Hi,

I am on L1A blanket stamped visa from Nov-2015 to Nov-2018. This is my first tenure and I have four more years to go. I recently traveled to India and I have got my new I-94 valid until Mar 2021. My company would not file an extension as long as my I94 is valid. I understand that I can extend my stay in USA until Mar 2021 but the risk is that my I94 would be void once I exit the country so I can not travel back to USA. Is there a way we can file an extension or amendment in this case? Appreciated your help in this regard.

Thanks,

Rajnee

Hi  Rajnee,

I am also falling in this category. My I-94 date is greater than my petition end date. My orgnaization told the I can continue to stay and work in US till I-94 end date. They can file extension only when I-94 end date is more than 6 months from the current date. 

could you please tell me what happened in your case and decisions?

Archived