Employment Based (EB) I-485 Interviews

I was trying to find discussions & experience of Employment Based (EB) I-485 Interviews online, but I could only find mostly marriage based interview forums.. Not many EB I-485 interview forums out there. starting one to share our experience, and hopefully others will add their experiences, which will be helpful for folks going through (or waiting for) Employment Based (EB) I-485 interviews.

Prioirty date - Mar2008
First I-140 (EB3) approved ~ mid 2009
Second I-140 (EB2) applied ~Jan 2016.. rejected.. MTR applied June2016... approved in June2017
I-485 filed - 10Aug2017
EAD ~ 15 Dec 2017
interview appointment letter- ~20 Jan 2018
Interview ~20Feb2018
I485 approval letter ~26Feb2018
Recieved Greencard in mail ~3Mar2018

Just like many folks from India, I have been waiting over 10 years now. Priority date Mar2008. I had a very rocky I-140 experience, but I-485 experience has been smooth... My I-140 took almost 1.5years, including rejection (EB2) due to AMIE degree from India, MTR applied based on US Masters degree, took over an year & they approved at last.

Interview was very straight forward. Me & my wife were called in to the office together..We took standing oath to say "will tell only the truth". The officer just asked very basic questions that are already on I-485 form... address, name, phone number.. Then, she asked almost every question from I-485 form, regarding criminal background, terrorism, communist party affiliation etc..., for which most folks would have answered NO.. But she read every question in detail, and looked at us with focused eye contact as we answered.

Then asked for latest Pay slips, W2, last year tax transcript from IRS.. She filed all of that into a folder, and said she'll approve the I-485 shortly. I asked if she can stamp I-551, she said its not necessary unless I'm traveling within a week or two & said I should get card in few weeks...

My lawyer was saying, the interview experience really depends heavily on the type of officer we get. Some are very easy, and some will try to ask more questions, especially if they suspect any information provided in I-485.. Our interview went fairly smooth.. It lasted ~20minutes... We walked out with sigh of relief & a smile..

I got I-485 approval notice 4 days after interview date.. Then received the physical Green Card (which is white in color.. ironically) within 10days after interview.. Finally decade long wait/journey is over..

tiger... You made it.. Congratulations!!. 

Thank you for posting your EB-485 interview experience.  I have requested people to post their experience that may help others to prepare for their interview.  I am also still waiting for more than 10 years to get GC. 

Did they mention to bring payslips, W2, and tax returns in the interview letter? Did you submit medicals along with 485 or later when they requested?

Thanks again.

• 1 month later...
On 4/23/2018 at 1:04 PM, tigerrr1 said:

I was trying to find discussions & experience of Employment Based (EB) I-485 Interviews online, but I could only find mostly marriage based interview forums.. Not many EB I-485 interview forums out there. starting one to share our experience, and hopefully others will add their experiences, which will be helpful for folks going through (or waiting for) Employment Based (EB) I-485 interviews.

Prioirty date - Mar2008
Second I-140 (EB2) applied ~Jan 2016.. rejected.. MTR applied June2016... approved in June2017
I-485 filed - 10Aug2017
EAD ~ 15 Dec 2017
Interview ~20Feb2018

Just like many folks from India, I have been waiting over 10 years now. Priority date Mar2008. I had a very rocky I-140 experience, but I-485 experience has been smooth... My I-140 took almost 1.5years, including rejection (EB2) due to AMIE degree from India, MTR applied based on US Masters degree, took over an year & they approved at last.

Interview was very straight forward. Me & my wife were called in to the office together..We took standing oath to say "will tell only the truth". The officer just asked very basic questions that are already on I-485 form... address, name, phone number.. Then, she asked almost every question from I-485 form, regarding criminal background, terrorism, communist party affiliation etc..., for which most folks would have answered NO.. But she read every question in detail, and looked at us with focused eye contact as we answered.

Then asked for latest Pay slips, W2, last year tax transcript from IRS.. She filed all of that into a folder, and said she'll approve the I-485 shortly. I asked if she can stamp I-551, she said its not necessary unless I'm traveling within a week or two & said I should get card in few weeks...

My lawyer was saying, the interview experience really depends heavily on the type of officer we get. Some are very easy, and some will try to ask more questions, especially if they suspect any information provided in I-485.. Our interview went fairly smooth.. It lasted ~20minutes... We walked out with sigh of relief & a smile..

I got I-485 approval notice 4 days after interview date.. Then received the physical Green Card (which is white in color.. ironically) within 10days after interview.. Finally decade long wait/journey is over..

Congrats!

• 1 month later...
On 4/23/2018 at 1:04 PM, tigerrr1 said:

Prioirty date - Mar2008
I-485 filed - 10Aug2017
EAD ~ 15 Dec 2017
Interview ~20Feb2018

Thanks for sharing this info. it is very useful.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...