221g waiting over 9 months - H1B renewal stamping

rcb_221g

Hello Everyone,

I had came to vacation with Family in India and had been for H1B/H4 renewal through DropBox. I was asked to attend an interview and received a 221g letter. Its more than 9 months and i do not have any update on my case. Below is my timeline.

H1B & H4 renewal stamping and eligible for dropbox. FTE with same employer.
27th June 2017 - Dropped passports at Bangalore VFS office
29th June 2017 - CEAC status "Case Created".
5th July 2017 - Got message to pickup passports. Received blue slip 221g asking to attend interview at consulate (only primary applicant).
6th July 2017 - Underwent finger prints and interview at Chennai Consulate. Interview was smooth. VO handed another blue slip (221g) mentioning they need more time to decide and the visa is in administrative processing.
6th July 2017 - Received a questionnaire from Chennai Consulate asking previous 15 year travel history, phone numbers, addresses, social media handles etc. Filled and sent the same day.

There has been no updates since then. I have escalated the issue several times and always get a generic response. Both my employer and myself have contacted several senators and congressman, still had no luck. Got same generic replies through them. This is my first renewal stamping. I had receivved 221g during B1 visa interview and was cleared within 6 months. I have a very common muslim name. I am working from India since then. My daughter lost an entire school year. Are there any other steps which i need to consider to expedite my case? Has anyone waited so long and got approvals? I would really appreciate your advises towards my case? Thank you.

If appealing to senators or congressmen hasn't produced a favorable disposition, it's doubtful there are other alternatives at this time. AP, as your case is in, can take as long as it takes, and cannot be expedited. AP could be security related, or employment related. 

There have been isolated cases of approvals after months/years on AP, but they are few and far between. 

Did you ever enter the US on a B1/b2 visa with a COS to another status? 

6 hours ago, Provence said:

If appealing to senators or congressmen hasn't produced a favorable disposition, it's doubtful there are other alternatives at this time. AP, as your case is in, can take as long as it takes, and cannot be expedited. AP could be security related, or employment related. 

There have been isolated cases of approvals after months/years on AP, but they are few and far between. 

Did you ever enter the US on a B1/b2 visa with a COS to another status? 

Hello Provence,

No. I was supposed to go to conference but since the B1 visa processing took longer I missed it. So didn’t travel after B1 stamping.  I entered US only after H1B stamping. 

15 hours ago, rcb_221g said:

Hello Everyone,

I had came to vacation with Family in India and had been for H1B/H4 renewal through DropBox. I was asked to attend an interview and received a 221g letter. Its more than 9 months and i do not have any update on my case. Below is my timeline.

H1B & H4 renewal stamping and eligible for dropbox. FTE with same employer.
27th June 2017 - Dropped passports at Bangalore VFS office
29th June 2017 - CEAC status "Case Created".
5th July 2017 - Got message to pickup passports. Received blue slip 221g asking to attend interview at consulate (only primary applicant).
6th July 2017 - Underwent finger prints and interview at Chennai Consulate. Interview was smooth. VO handed another blue slip (221g) mentioning they need more time to decide and the visa is in administrative processing.
6th July 2017 - Received a questionnaire from Chennai Consulate asking previous 15 year travel history, phone numbers, addresses, social media handles etc. Filled and sent the same day.

There has been no updates since then. I have escalated the issue several times and always get a generic response. Both my employer and myself have contacted several senators and congressman, still had no luck. Got same generic replies through them. This is my first renewal stamping. I had receivved 221g during B1 visa interview and was cleared within 6 months. I have a very common muslim name. I am working from India since then. My daughter lost an entire school year. Are there any other steps which i need to consider to expedite my case? Has anyone waited so long and got approvals? I would really appreciate your advises towards my case? Thank you.

Sorry to hear about your situation, honestly there nothing much we can do in this case just pray for fast & positive result wait n watch!!! There is no specific timeline set by DOS for 221G AP, they can be long haul as long as you can think of time.

Not sure what you mean by 221G for B1, never heard of it. If you got it and it was cleared then this time may not be the same reason. I have nothing much to tell you because there is nothing we can do just keep faith and hold back there tight.

Good Luck

Thank you for your replies. I want to know if applicants caught in 221g for so long (> 1yr) have received approvals? I understand there is no definitive answer but still want to know if there is hope waiting further  or start pursuing other opportunities. This has adversely affected my family and I do not want them to suffer more. Please advise. 

3 hours ago, rcb_221g said:

Thank you for your replies. I want to know if applicants caught in 221g for so long (> 1yr) have received approvals? I understand there is no definitive answer but still want to know if there is hope waiting further  or start pursuing other opportunities. This has adversely affected my family and I do not want them to suffer more. Please advise. 

Sounds like you had H1B stamping previously?? did any thing changed since then like employer client or any thing which you can think of?

I understand your situation how frustrating it is, I have sailed the same boat through this plague sea of 221G. I would certainly recommend you to work on other opportunities, like moving to a new employer for new H1B and appear again for visa interview or start looking out for opportunities in India.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Thanks for your suggestions. I want to know  how can we reach Department of State with enquiry about long pending applications. Can lawyer or representative visit DOS office and approach them with this request?  If yes, then can you please let me know the concerned department who might help. Thank you. 

Archived