Jump to content
All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lost daughter's green card

Recommended Posts

My wife and I were naturalized a few months ago. We surrendered our green cards as part of the naturalization process. 

I started the process of applying for US passports for myself, my wife, and my 16 year old daughter, who was born in India.

I then realized that I had lost my daughter's green card. I have since applied for a replacement green card, but that will take time.

Question is, do I need to wait for my daughter's replacement green card to arrive before I can apply for her US passport? Or can I submit her US passport application now?

I'd appreciate any advice/pointers in this regard. Thanks! 


Share this post

Link to post

You can apply for her passport. She is a US Citizen based on your naturalization.

Share this post

Link to post


Did you apply US passport and got  the same for your daughter?  Did DOS ask your daughter's green card when passport application status showed as "pending". Would you please let me know.   

Here is my experience when applied passport for my son (he is minor). 

My wife and I were naturalized a few months ago. I  have 13 yrs old son, born in India. When we applied passport for me, my wife and my son thru USPS post office in-person, we gave our naturalization certifcate and my son's original birth certificate. After a week, my wife and myself got a passport and after a week we got back our original naturalization certificate. Then again a week later, we received a letter   from DOS (Department of State) addresed to my son stated as below

"Thank you for your recent passport application. If you have already obtained a Certificate of Citizenship issued by  the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), please submit this document to our office. If a Certificate of Citizenship has not been obtained, please submit the following:

Evidence of lawful admission prior to your 18th
birthday in the form of your Permanent Residence Card/ Green
Card, foreign passport with original I-551 visa entry stamp, or documentation from the USCIS verifying your
legal entry.
To assist with processing your application, we must receive the requested information within ninety (90) days of
the date shown on this letter. If the information is not received or is insufficient to establish your entitlement to a
U.S. passport, your application may be denied and your citizenship evidence will be returned. By law, the passport
execution and application fees are non-refundable."
Then i called DOS and asked about the letter, i was asked to send my son's original green card and i was said that will not be returned. Then I sent original green card to the DOS address mentioned in the letter. After a week,  i received my son's passport. Then after two weeks, i received my son's original birth certificate and letter. This letter says that I need to send my son's original green card to USCIS, so that USCIS can update my son's citizenship status to USCIS system.  As I already sent my son's green card to DOS,  I wrote a letter to USCIS stated that I already returned green card to DOS for processing his passport and attached my son's passport copy.
Is this common? or should i ask DOS to send back my son's invalid greencard (since he became USC, green card is not valid) to send back USCIS? 
Your timely answer is really appreciated and thank you in advance.


Edited by gobusa

Share this post

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now