Change Of Status from F1-OPT to H4 when nearing 90 days of unemployment

Cosmos1122

Hello,

I am on F1 OPT. I am currently unemployed (70'th day of unemployment out of 90 days).  My OPT EAD card is valid till August,2018.  I have the following questions.

1) Is it ok for me to change my status back to H4? ( My husband is in H1B visa, valid till 2020. I have changed my status from H4 to F1 in 2016, while I was studying my Masters ). Should I apply for change of status and receive the receipt for it before my 90 days of unemployment ?

2) I worked in F1 OPT for 5 months and it was an unpaid position with my university professor. I don't have pay slips but i have an employment verification letter. Will they ask for any pay slips? (I am in my first F1 OPT year, not OPT STEM extension).

3) Can I apply for EAD along with my COS (change of status) to H4? Would it affect my change of status to H4? I don't want to take any risks.

4) The USCIS website has stated the following required documents for i539.

I-94, Birth or Marriage Certificate, Any of the following (i129 or i797 receipt or i797 approval).  Are there any more documents should I send for F1 OPT to H4 COS?

Thanks in advance.

-AB

Archived