Parents Visitor Visa rejection with 214(b)

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 5:49 PM, Provence said:

That discretion you speak of is referred to as a consular officer or a CBP officer. If merited, it's that discretion, for example, that allows a CO to approve a visa for a young, single, jobless applicant who might otherwise not have qualified for a B2. 

A visa is a privilege.. and there's nothing stopping an individual from traveling to India to see family. 

Let me rephrase, there needs to be discretion towards a better common sense judgement.

A visa is a privilege? Is that implying people that require it are inferior and, well, under-privileged? And the people for the "selected" 38 visa waiver countries are equally special as the people that live in the US?

And yes there are plenty of situations that stop or delay people from going to the home country to see family, including cumbersome and illogical procedures and timelines and hurdles that the immigration system here puts on an applicant.

A visa is not a right, it is a privilege. The same is true for visas to your country, btw.

The visa waiver is for people in certain countries where there were few violations. And the visa waiver comes with significant restrictions, e.g., shorter allowed stay, no extensions, no change of status, limited legal rights at the POE, overstay of even 1 day means never being able to use it again.

TANSTAAFL (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.)

Edited by JoeF
3 hours ago, Ken7 said:

Let me rephrase, there needs to be discretion towards a better common sense judgement. 

You're welcome to write Congress or seek training sessions for COs. 

A visa is a privilege? Is that implying people that require it are inferior and, well, under-privileged? And the people for the "selected" 38 visa waiver countries are equally special as the people that live in the US?

It means a visa is not an automatic right. Those who receive it must qualify to receive that visa. And those select visa waiver countries are designated so because their nationals have demonstrated lower overstay/abuse rates over time. 

And yes there are plenty of situations that stop or delay people from going to the home country to see family, including cumbersome and illogical procedures and timelines and hurdles that the immigration system here puts on an applicant.

Those entering the US on a non-immigrant visa should be prepared for long waits for immigration system benefits. The long timelines are associated with huge applications volume, and numerical visa limits set by Congress. Not a single person is forced to remain in the US against their will; they have the freedom to leave any time they want. After all, they're obligated to maintain a non-US permanent residence. 

Edited by Provence
  • 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...

My parents visa got denied yesterday with 214-B. But they have not given any specific reason why the visa is rejected. My parents were not asked to show any documents or asked any question related to strong ties with home country. Below were the questions asked:

1. Why you want to go to US

Ans: To meet our daughter

2. Have you travelled to other countries before

Ans: Yes (Malaysia)

3. What does your wife do

Ans: She is a house wife

4. Where does your daughter work

Ans: <ABC Company>

That was all he asked. I am not understanding why the visa was rejected. Kindly let me know what else I can do while reapplying.