F2 visa complications due to long processing time

Nino89

Hello,

I have a few concerns about my F2 dependent visa application converting from my F1 visa (change of status). 

I had received a receipt from USCIS stating that they have received my application on May 26th, 2017 and since then it has been under processing. Last year, when I had sent out my application, it was based on my spouse’s F1 visa with an OPT work permit until April 23rd, 2018 which is expiring in less than a month’s time. 

My spouse has applied for a STEM extension and his application is also currently under processing. 

Now my question is, 

1. What happens if my F2 visa is not processed before April 23rd?

2. Even if my F2 visa does get approved, will I be required to send out another new application requesting for an extension of stay until the end of my spouse’s newly extended work permit?

3. Instead of sending out another new application for F2 extension, can I travel outside the country (most likely to India), apply and get stamping from there for a much faster processing time? And if I travel outside USA, do I have to do it during the 2 month grace period or does it have to be immediately before April 23rd, 2018?

4. What is my best course of action if my F2 application is rejected? 

What is my best case scenario? Also, note that my F1 visa has expired while on OPT STEM on July 2nd, 2017.

I look forward to getting some clarity on the situation.

Thank you.

Archived