How do you prevent break in employment while H4 EAD is being Extended

vicky20

I would like to ask here, and also hear how others have approached this situation.

Once you file H1B Extension, you can legally stay and work for 8 months while you wait for the decision where as for H4 EAD, it will simply expire.
Employers normally start H1B extensions 6 months before it expires.

There is a high potential for the extension of H1/H4, followed by the H4 EAD extension to take more than 6 months. How can we avoid break from current employment during such situation? This is my first time. I know premium processing is one option but wanted to her all ideas from those with experience on this matter.

Edited by vicky20
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 3/25/2018 at 5:51 PM, vicky20 said:

I would like to ask here, and also hear how others have approached this situation.

Once you file H1B Extension, you can legally stay and work for 8 months while you wait for the decision where as for H4 EAD, it will simply expire.
Employers normally start H1B extensions 6 months before it expires.

There is a high potential for the extension of H1/H4, followed by the H4 EAD extension to take more than 6 months. How can we avoid break from current employment during such situation? This is my first time. I know premium processing is one option but wanted to her all ideas from those with experience on this matter.

bringing it to top.

On 1/27/2020 at 3:31 PM, User099 said:

You can't work when there is no valid EAD and you just have to take a break from work. Most employers might not hold the job if you can't tell them how long it will take for you to get an EAD and you will end up loosing the job. I feel USCIS is using this loop hole to discourage use of H4 EAD.

Yeah, the current idi*tic administration is trying to get rid of the H4 EAD.

Depending on the job, an employer may be ok with a couple weeks of unpaid leave.