All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bob_86

B2 (Tourist) to F1 Change of status I-539

Hello Folks,

If I file I-539 to change status from B2 to F1 while staying in USA,

1. if that doesn't approve within 6 months (assuming visitor visa I94 is valid for 6 months), then do I need to go out of country?

2. and if that approves after I go out of the country as B2 visa term is finished. Will I-539 be considered abandoned? And can I return later on B2 without any issues?

Thank you, appreciate your response.

Their policy is not to approve any COS from B2 to F1 unless you inform the POE Officer that you are a potential student and get a notation stamped on your passport. If you need to study, you should enter on a F1 visa.

You would have to declare that you are a potential F1 student when entering.

You can stay while a COS is pending, but you can only enroll once the COS is approved. And if you stay past the I-94 expiration date and the COS is denied, your B2 visa would automatically be invalid.

Thanks Guys!

Another scenario I'd like to ask you guys is COS from B2 to H1 or F2 to H1. I know H1-B would be applied in April of every year.

Can I apply for COS from these two scenarios? Please let me know.

Thank you.

It is mid-March. It is pretty much impossible to get a job offer before the H1 season starts. So, that's a non-starter.

And for an F2, you would have to be married to a person who is a student. You haven't said anything about that until now.

Thank you Sir, I was knowing different scenarios and COS cases that are possible. This helped a lot.

Thanks all, again.