question on reentry permit - green card

hello,
how does the reentry permit work. i am green card holder and an indian national.
with a  reentry permit, is it true that there will be a guaranteed no port of entry issues even with stay of upto 2 yrs.
also, is it true that, a reentry permit is also some sort of a passport where i can just return with it along with my green card ,even without my passport.
just want to know how fool proof is this reentry permit travel for extended stay of upto  2 yrs and how many times can i apply for the reentry permit in a span of my 10 yrs green card validity.

A reentry permit does never guarantee "no port of entry issues." You still have to maintain your residency in the US.

A reentry permit looks similar to a passport, but you generally still need a passport to enter. In some cases, certain countries don't renew passports (e.g., if the country wants military service to be done), in such cases, the reentry permit can be used as a "White Passport."

Also, if you apply for a reentry permit too often, it may be issued for 1 year only or completely denied.

Archived