Visitor Visa given for 3 months only

My Mother in law entered today at SF port of entry and she was taken for additional questioning. After looking at the standard inviation letter that I gave them about visiting USA and needing 6 months etc. they only gave the I94 for 3 months?

We really need her to stay atleast 6 months as she is here for caring for new born.

When can I apply for extension? What are the chances USCIS grants extension before the I-94 expires.

2 hours ago, H1Slaves said:

My Mother in law entered today at SF port of entry and she was taken for additional questioning. After looking at the standard inviation letter that I gave them about visiting USA and needing 6 months etc. they only gave the I94 for 3 months?

We really need her to stay atleast 6 months as she is here for caring for new born.

When can I apply for extension? What are the chances USCIS grants extension before the I-94 expires.

It is illegal to enter US on B2 vista with the sole purpose to provide care for new born.

@JoeF @veni001@Noah Lott 

Ofcourse My letter said travel and sightseeing only and didnt mention newborn at all. We intend to do the travel as well. I am really surprised why the officer gave 3 months only. is this happening more frequently now a days?

What is the best time for applying the extension in my situation. Is it after 1 month or right away? How long is it taking these days? I intend to state the reason is travel as well.

What happens if the extension gets denied after the 3 months is passed? Are we risking loosing the visa? Has anyone heard the visa did get voided. I am sure they will ask at the next POE the reason for overstay and denial etc.  

Edited by H1Slaves
4 hours ago, Noah Lott said:

when in fact you want cheap babysitting.

Dont pass judgements on a situation where you dont have a whole picture. I dont know where you come from, what you earn, what you make I am sure as hell not cheap and dont take cheap shots at people. There is that care and concern I can never buy with a nanny, after all its the most precious thing right now in my life and I am not here to listen to your stupid comments. Shut the hell up and stop responding if you dont have any positive thing to add. 

Look at how the other two folks responded and your response. Go get a life.

4 hours ago, Noah Lott said:

when in fact you want cheap babysitting.

Dont pass judgements on a situation where you dont have a whole picture. I dont know where you come from, what you earn, what you make I am sure as hell not cheap and dont take cheap shots at people. There is that care and concern I can never buy with a nanny, after all its the most precious thing right now in my life and I am not here to listen to your stupid comments. Shut the hell up and stop responding if you dont have any positive thing to add. 

Look at how the other two folks responded and your response. Go get a life.

6 hours ago, Noah Lott said:

as a former consular officer, I have no respect for people who thumb their noses at our laws....and have sorted out the liars from the honest ones, far more than you can imagine. But if you had real courage, you would have come clean...but you didn't. You'll be pleased to know that I am forwarding these exchanges to the embassies in India...perhaps they will take notice. 

Or perhaps you can find the legal exception that pertains to you.....in fact, I defy you do find such an exception. Good luck.

I dont believe there is anything that was lied here, we do want the parents to be there for the newborn while also taking the opportunity to tour the country.

If you are an american and you have your in laws attend to your grandchild for a few weeks, I dont think you would pay them off.

I do want to end the discussion here and very pleased to know that you are sending all these to the state dept and whitehouse. May the force be with you!!

7 hours ago, H1Slaves said:

I dont believe there is anything that was lied here, we do want the parents to be there for the newborn while also taking the opportunity to tour the country.

If you are an american and you have your in laws attend to your grandchild for a few weeks, I dont think you would pay them off.

I do want to end the discussion here and very pleased to know that you are sending all these to the state dept and whitehouse. May the force be with you!!

The law still does not allow foreigners on a visitor visa to work, like helping in the household. Most likely the same in your home country.

If your parents are US citizens, then they can do work here, but foreigners on a tourist visa can not work.

That's all there is to it.

And of course, if you file an extension and it gets denied, as I expect, if she stays past the I-94 expiration date, the visa would automatically be invalid. Combined with the omission of the real intent, what generally is called a lie, it would be rather hard for her to get a new visitor visa. She should leave before the 3 months are over.

• 2 years later...